Board logo

formula student-esq
skint scotsman - 19/7/05 at 06:24 PM

heres some plans for a formula student -esq bike engined track car very basic at moment but and comments and critisim would be greatly appreciated

[URL=http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fschassisplanpsd9kz.jpg][/U RL]

skint scotsman - 19/7/05 at 06:25 PM

copy and paste address if you want i bigger image

all bars will be of same thickness

[Edited on 19/7/05 by skint scotsman]

scoobyis2cool - 19/7/05 at 07:16 PM

LINK FOR LAZY PEOPLE

Make sure you triangulate everything properly, this will be easier to do once you've got a final design.

I suggest laying out, in 3D if possible, all the components you want to use, including the driver, and then connect them all together with the frame, rather than designing the frame first and trying to fit all the components inside it.

Pete

[Edited on 19/7/05 by scoobyis2cool]

Mark18 - 19/7/05 at 08:56 PM

Is there anyway to change the 3 bars going into the middle of another one. I'd also try and find a way to triangulate the front wheel area.

Mark

ADD - 19/7/05 at 09:12 PM

Try putting two braces in instead of one so it looks like > instead of .

Lotusmark2 - 20/7/05 at 08:46 AM

Grab a copy of High speed low cost, I have found it sooooo good for planning my single seater.

chrisf - 20/7/05 at 01:40 PM

Yeah, you should probably do this in 3D CAD. It will make your life much simpler!

--Chris

crbrlfrost - 20/7/05 at 07:06 PM

I think its already been stated best in that you need to account for the engine, fuel tank, driver, and suspension components prior to designing the bracket to hold it all together. I especially see problems in the back, as it looks like a nice triangulated section now, but you have to account for wishbone pickups (don't see a lot of good areas right now), the driveshafts coming through, the ability to install and remove the engine, etc. But, I'm sure it will come together, just keep working. Cheers

kanscrx - 22/7/05 at 09:00 PM

If I might, I'd suggest:
Position a mockup (or in cad) for the diver and front suspension. Have that be a mild steel frame, or RHS or round tubing. Once you have the right length and width worked out and the space frame designed, then work on the back.
You could make the engine cradle and rear suspension pickup points out of aluminium, and have the whole section be a bolton subframe.
Sort of like this:
http://www.jayhawkmotorsports.com/portal/portal/alias__Rainbow/lang__en/tabID__28/DesktopDefault.aspx

[Edited on 22/7/05 by kanscrx]

skint scotsman - 31/7/05 at 07:46 PM

Jedi (500cc Yamaha) race car at Knockhill Race Circuit (Scotland).
Not totally Mini based but is 'miniscule'!

anybody know anything about these

cymtriks - 1/8/05 at 07:41 PM

The attached picture shows my thoughts for a spaceframe. Rescued attachment designsuggestions.jpg
Rescued attachment designsuggestions.jpg