Board logo

How do you bend the rear sections?
want2race - 20/2/05 at 03:08 AM

The little piece of round tube that goes on the bottoms and the top loop sections.

I bought a $100 pipe bender that crushed the hell out of it.

I bought a $50 conduit bender and its not a clean bend.

Whats everyone doing to bend it ? Its really getting on my nerves!

Cheers
~Jonathan

chrisf - 20/2/05 at 07:04 AM

I too used a conduit bender without drama. The bender required 7/8" tube, which is what I used. If you use larger or smaller tube, you'll get a strange result.

I bent mine in one long swoop. Speaking on the upper tube here: you can use two 90 degree bends and weld them to the straight section.

Really though, you userstand that the aluminum or GRP will cover any neck-downs/crinckles, right?

--Chris

chrisf - 20/2/05 at 07:05 AM

Also, no need to get frustrated with it... Return the $100 tool and rent a conduit bender at the Home Depot.

--Chris

niceperson709 - 20/2/05 at 08:00 AM

I found a couple of "bauhaus cchairs at my local tip which had the right radius bends and cut and shut them to suit worked ot perfect .
best wishes
Iain Rescued attachment bends.JPG
Rescued attachment bends.JPG

MikeRJ - 20/2/05 at 09:28 AM

Very clever solution, looks great!

clbarclay - 20/2/05 at 11:02 AM

I made 2 jigs, one from wood, the round sander in pic mounts in electric drill and is excelant for shaping the wood.
The other is made from scrap metal.

Both require G-clamps for effective operation.

Making your own jigs mean that the corners can be any radious you chose. Rescued attachment Locost build.jpg
Rescued attachment Locost build.jpg

clbarclay - 20/2/05 at 11:04 AM

Having just seen the size my photo how do you make attached pictures smaller?

Chris_R - 20/2/05 at 11:54 AM

Photoshop or similar. There's not an inbuilt facility.

want2race - 20/2/05 at 04:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by niceperson709
I found a couple of "bauhaus cchairs at my local tip which had the right radius bends and cut and shut them to suit worked ot perfect .
best wishes
Iain

I dont understand.. What is that ?

clbarclay - 20/2/05 at 04:24 PM

Any chair with tubular metal legs could do. If you have a tip, rubbish dump, etc. that has old furniture on it check it out.

Remember that the top peice can be made from two seperate parts. I deliberatly bent 2 seperate tubes then cut them to leng and inserted the thread from an old bolt into the tubes to make the middle join stronger.

200mph - 20/2/05 at 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
Any chair with tubular metal legs could do. If you have a tip, rubbish dump, etc. that has old furniture on it check it out.

yup thats what I did, very quick and looks great.

Mark

blueshift - 21/2/05 at 06:02 PM

I gave the local wrought ironwork guy £20 to bend them in his tube bender. Plus he knows what he's doing.. bonus.

niceperson709 - 21/2/05 at 09:27 PM

With regaurd to the question "what is a Bahaus Chair" It is achair designed by som clever germans which was bent from one continious piece if tube with 90 degree bends , any way the point i was trying to make is that it is not always necessary to make every thing if you can spot somthing that can be adapted to do the job I was hoeifie dto see that someone had spent 100 gbp for a tool to make a couple of bends my solution cost nothing , Keep your eyes open and your imagination running free
best wishes
Iain

DEAN C. - 28/2/05 at 11:20 PM

Just to be a boring git, Bauhaus was I believe the German design college or school .
Also an excellent new wave/punk group from mid 80's featuring Pete Murphy singing songs like Bella Lugosi's dead,now that is SAD.

NS Dev - 1/3/05 at 01:04 PM

I bought my chassis so can't comment directly, but I have made several anti roll bars with similar bends and have had a good degree of success using a similar technique to that mentioned in "the book" i.e. heating with a blowlamp to dull red and just bendign a bit at a time in a vice!