Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making your own exhaust
Benzine

posted on 13/10/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Making your own exhaust

Who has done this? I seem to recall NS Dev made an awesome exhaust. I have a load of stainless pipe lying around (few meters of straight and some 90 deg bends)

There are a couple of things I want to look at.

Exhaust configuration. I have a straight six engine, how would you have the exhaust? Something like this with 2x 3-into-1 collectors?

or 3x 2-into-1 collectors then a 3-into-one collector

I've MIG welded steel before (made my inlet plenum) and I was pretty happy with it. Maybe I could tack the whole thing up then get someone to TIG it for me.

I loathe working with stainless Cutting, drilling etc my inlet plenum was a long, drawn-out affair. How would I cut the pipes? I don't have a bandsaw or similar and obviously I'd want accurate cuts.

Also where could I get collectors/merge collectors from?

Thanks for any info

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 13/10/08 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Making a good exhust manifold is an art, not just from a welding point of view, but getting all the pipes the correct and equal length. If getting the most from your endine is priority, i'd leave the manifolds to the experts, and concentrate on fabricating the rest yourself if you really want to do some.

Mistral Motorsport

tegwin

posted on 13/10/08 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO... how you have your headers arranged is going to depend on the firing order of the engine...

but the TR6 engine I have is connected 1,3,5...and 2,4,6

SS tube is not too hard to work with, just take your time and cut it slowly with coolant.... You will need to get it tigged thogh!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

SPYDER

posted on 13/10/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Here is our home made system. It is Titanium from end to end. We started with two manifolds from the 929 Blade engine. These are Titanium as standard. Simply cut them up so that you have straight bits and curved bits.
Then simply make your own pattern of manifold. You'll need some titanium sheet with which to make the collector. The can is from a ZX12 IIRC.
This exercise could equally be done using stainless of course.
Or even mild steel if that is all you can weld.
If you can get the correct flange or flanges to suit your particular engine then this will give you a head start.
Your 6-2-1 is fine. I wouldn't worry too much about getting the pipes all exactly the same length either, although doubtless I will be decried for saying this. Concentrate on getting the joints right with no sudden changes of direction.
If you already have some suitable pipe then the overall cost could be minimal if you weld it yourself.
Geoff.

r1_pete

posted on 13/10/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
TBH I agree with Spyder, exhaust headers are a bit of a black art, and can cost an absolute fortune, for little percievable gain - on the road anyway.

I made my own from mild steel bends bought off here, equal length primaries but no specific tuning, they shouldn't flow any worse than the standard Focus pipes. Total cost was about £25, vs close on £400 for a specially made job... Rescued attachment myexhaust.jpg
Rescued attachment myexhaust.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dead sierra

posted on 13/10/08 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I made mine by cutting the flange plate of my old CVH exhaust and welding on a 4-2-1 set up. It was easier to do than I thought. Two helpful tips are to allow it to be seperated where it exits the car in case you need to remove the exhaust at a later date and to cut the pipes square with a hacksaw use a jubalee clip round the pipe Rescued attachment Image054a.jpg
Rescued attachment Image054a.jpg

mark chandler

posted on 13/10/08 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
And mine

I went for 4 - 2 - 1 equel length, the lamda sits in the last collector. You will not get the perfect lengths as the cars are not long enough!

I made the collectors by splitting larger tube and welding in triangles.

Held it together with masking tape around each joint then spot welded through.

You have to be logical in order as some joins will be impossible once its all together. Rescued attachment Zorst.JPG
Rescued attachment Zorst.JPG

Benzine

posted on 13/10/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the info

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

pocket rocket

posted on 24/4/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to bring up an old post guys.

Whats the deal with unequel length manifolds like scoobies have?
i want to weld my own system for my zetec se... if i don't get it spot on and the headers are not quite equel will i end up with a car that sounds like an impeza or just a system that steels power from my engine??

also what thinkness steel pipes do i need to make my headers???

Dam...iv consused my ability with my intentions!

brianthemagical

posted on 25/4/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Scoobies are down to the boxer engine, as two of the pipes run from the front cyliders and two from the rear, so the total lengths are different.
If using mappable injection, then gains can b had from exhaust tuning, if not then stick exactly to the std lengths and design as incorrect lengths will lose power due incorrect AFRs, only slightly, as the scavenging rpms will be changed.

Trev Borg

posted on 25/4/09 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
The alfa engine when in the 164 has the most ridiculous exhaust ever made.

The car is front wheel drive so transverse engine. The front front bank of the V6 has a longer manifold the the rear bank, and merges near the sump and goes under the engine.

The rear bank has a stubby manifold, and just kinds zip backwards straight away.

The only meet about 2/3 of the way down the car.

If you were to measure the lengths , they are all cery different.

On the other hand in the rear wheel drive versions with same engine, the are matched.

So, My opinion, if you can get them something like equal. bis bosh job done

I have a set of eaual length matched stainless one tho

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.