Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative to Zetec raceline water rail?
cliftyhanger

posted on 2/10/08 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Alternative to Zetec raceline water rail?

In my spitfire I have a zetec with a raceline water rail. There is just not enough space to accomodate the normal water thermostat at the back of the block, but are there any alternatives? Would like to improve the cooling systema bit, and also use a "ramhorn" type exhaust manifold, impossible with the raeline item
Cheers
Clive

coozer

posted on 2/10/08 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Some of the 1.8 Mondeo's had a plain 90 outlet with a remote thermostat.. worth having a dig round the scrappy???

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

procomp

posted on 2/10/08 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hi.

I and many others have found nothing but trouble with the raceline water rails for various reasons. So we decided on all our cars we would just simplify the water system.

As they say. " A picture explains a thousand words."

Darryls engine bay L/H side
Darryls engine bay L/H side
[/img]

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 2/10/08 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I tried the raceline item. Went back to using the ford stat housing and moved the engine/box forward enough to fit it. Turned out to be about 40mm. New prop needed and some welding but no cooling problems. I don't think I am a good enough driver to detect any handling change particularly as the zetec was in place of a pinto.
Only downside is I have to remove the engine to change the thermostat but I do tend to have the engine out every few months anyway.
Procomp, I don't see a problem with fitting the standard bits in your car pictured.

[Edited on 2/10/08 by Dusty] Rescued attachment AnotherHalfInch.jpg
Rescued attachment AnotherHalfInch.jpg

procomp

posted on 2/10/08 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.

As i said the water system has been simplified. The std units have water pipes that you do not need to use and need blocking off and the temp sensor needs blocking off also.

First rule of motorsport is keep it simple.
All those blocked of water ways just waiting to go wrong.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 2/10/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
OK. But I like my heater, in winter, with the roof on in the rain, or on those crispy dry cold bluesky February days with the top off and the heater keeping my toes toasty.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.