Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding inlet manifold
ned

posted on 21/10/03 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Welding inlet manifold

I've been considering my options for an inlet manifold for my 8v vx to run my webers. The cheapest price I have found for a new manifold is £135! I'm not really wanting to shed out this sort of money, when the 8v is temporary until i get the 16v sorted.

I've found inlet manifolds for the production cars for £25 but they are for the engine mounted at 7 dgrees, not upright.

Question is, if I get a second hand manifold, cut and shut it is there anyone who'd be able or willing to weld it up for me? I assume the inlet castings are aluminium? Someone nearby would be preferred but if not I'll pay all postage and costs etc etc.

It must be cheaper doing this than shedding out on a new one?

thanks,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
A Badger

posted on 21/10/03 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,

What difference does the 7 degrees make to the manifold. Can't you just take up the difference with the exhaust coupling?

Or since they are designed for FWD the output is now pointing forward rather than backward?

Your other option is to make up a tubular one - manifold blanks are quite cheap and a bit of cunning work with standard tubes should produce something better than a restrictive standard affair.

Andrew

ned

posted on 21/10/03 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Andrew,

not quite sure what you mean. I'm talking about the inlet manifold for mounting the weber 45's to the engine. if i use the standard production type @ 7 degrees my carbs would not be level and hence my float chambers on the piss, which i'm guessing would mean the carbs wouldn't work to well, if at all.

cheers,

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DaveFJ

posted on 21/10/03 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Tiger website is offering the manifold for £98 + vat - not much cheaper but there you go... (would save £20)
A Badger

posted on 21/10/03 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Ned, being dim I read inlet as Exhaust Doh!!

Yes the 7 degrees would make a big difference.

I guess that welding it would be the easy bit, there's going to be plently of work to ensure that the flow isn't reduced by the cut and shut work.

The other issue is length (as ever) I guess that there is plenty of room in a FWD installation for a reasonable length (100-150mm) of inlet to give good mid range. For the Pinto you can buy short manifolds to allow it to fit better in a Locost.

Andrew

ned

posted on 21/10/03 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not too bothered about the smoothness of the porting as it's only a temporary engine to get the car running with all the bit being interchangable to the 16v.

Point taken about length though, as i guess this'll affect the hole cut in the bonnet too!

cheers,

Ned.

protofj,

i can't see a vauxhall manifold on tigers site, they do an ohc engine one, but i assume this is for a ford xflow or pinto.

[Edited on 21/10/03 by ned]

Surrey Dave

posted on 21/10/03 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Only 7 degrees

If it's only 7 degrees is it not possible to machine the head mating face of the manifold at a slight angle to sort it.
It would depend on how much meat there is on the casting obviously.
You would probably only have to remove 1 or 2 mm from one side ( top or bottom) and let the fixing studs work at a slight angle.

In true 'Locost' fashion you could even file or grind it yourself and then face it of on a flat block or glass with emery.

timf

posted on 21/10/03 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
also if theres not enough meat on one of the flanges mill a bit off both.

an engine machine shop could mill it for you on the head facing machine.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/10/03 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
That would most likely weaken the vauxhall manifold to the point of breaking, when you do the nuts up ! They are fragile even in unmolested form!!

I was thinking about doing this too. (probably where ned got the idea)

I'm gonna cut out the shape into thick steel and then weld the tubes on... its getting all the right shapes and lengths, which is the difficult bit !

[Edited on 21/10/03 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Surrey Dave

posted on 21/10/03 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Sandwich plate

Make up a sandwich plate to go between manifold and head, and have it machined at the applicable angle.

6mm thick down to 5mm whatever it takes.
fit it between 2 inlet gaskets.............

ned

posted on 21/10/03 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the help and suggestions.

Shame no one can weld it, i thought it'd be easy to cut out the required amount and get it welded back together.

thanks,

Ned.

rell

posted on 21/10/03 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
make all the cuts you need and then take it to the local fab shop and slip the man a tener jobs a good one.
to weld alli you need a tig welder with ac curent on it

DaveFJ

posted on 21/10/03 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned

i can't see a vauxhall manifold on tigers site, they do an ohc engine one, but i assume this is for a ford xflow or pinto.

[Edited on 21/10/03 by ned]

sorry my mistake - got confused with zetec - duh

Surrey Dave

posted on 21/10/03 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Could be a yellow pages job...

There must be someone near you who does aluminium welding............

Mark Allanson

posted on 21/10/03 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ned, do you mean something like this? I know this was done to shorten the plenum chamber but you could drill it to match webers? Rescued attachment Plenum12.jpg
Rescued attachment Plenum12.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Northy

posted on 21/10/03 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't it distort it?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

rell

posted on 21/10/03 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
what you need to sort this out

a flat bed (use a piece of glass and be carfull)

some engineering blue

a file

and a scraper

but you should be ok if the plate is a thick enough and don't put to much heat in the work when welding it also clamp it to a flat surface

if your no good with a file go to the local machine shop and have the thing ground flat but i will tell you now it won't be cheep

Mark Allanson

posted on 21/10/03 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
As long as your cut is dead level and you don't get too excessive with the amps you should have no problems. I dont have an AC tig so it was done at lunchtime at a local engineering company for a couple of pints of Butcombe!

Clamping it down is a waste of time because if you build in any distortion, it will be stored in the work until you unclamp it, the it will spring out of the clamps.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

ned

posted on 23/10/03 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
this is the manifold in question i'm going to buy (£30), i've finally got a pic of it! as i said, i need to make it tilt up 7 degrees more in effect. could anyone comment on the thickness of the material for adding/taking some off or cut & welding it?

thanks...

Ned.

The top pic is upside down, this is how it would sit on the engine..

[Edited on 23/10/03 by ned]

Northy

posted on 23/10/03 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
That looks the same as mine! £30! Mine cost a f*cking fortune! Are you sure its angled, don't think mine is! Too cold to go into the garage and look now, will look tommorrow.

Ned, new suggestion, cant you tilt the engine over a bit so the carbs sit level?

Cheers

(Just got back from seeing Chubby Brown)

[Edited on 23/10/03 by Northy]

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Ben_Copeland

posted on 24/10/03 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
not with the new bell housing he just bought he can't lol

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

ned

posted on 24/10/03 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
As I said £135+ for a new one if i can adapt this one i'll be happy until i get the 16v in. The bellhousing is for an upright engine, don't think the 16v would fit under the bonnet at an angle...

I've had a message from someone willing to weld it up for me if i supply it to him cut and glued together he'll zip round with a tig..

marvellous...

Ned.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 24/10/03 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent smithers............... you just have to not destroy it, when you start cutting it about !

p.s. maybe that kind person will offer to do mine, when i get round to it

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

ned

posted on 24/10/03 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

p.s. maybe that kind person will offer to do mine, when i get round to it

nah, probably not

Northy

posted on 26/10/03 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like my carbs are at an angle, but I'm not going to worry about it. I think the engine could be leant over a touch without affecting anything.

Ned, new photos uploaded into my photo archive Rescued attachment Carb Angle.jpg
Rescued attachment Carb Angle.jpg

Graham

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.