Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which bike carbs or TBs?
blakep82

posted on 14/11/07 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
which bike carbs or TBs?

ok, been asking a lot of people on a lot of different forums, and decided to go with the vauxhall ecotec 2.0 (x20xev) which i'll probably get shot down for

been looking for carbs/throttle bodies to run on it (although i'll start by running it standard for a bit)

question is, what bike carbs or throttle bodies should i use? what should i look for? how do you decide what bike engine to take them from?

bike carbs are a lot cheaper than say webber carbs, and seem to offer the same power. what bikes use injection throttle bodies?

haven't got my engine yet, just looking into the options, though i am hoping to go see some breakers this weekend to look for one

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

takumi

posted on 15/11/07 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I would go with big bike carbs, for simplicity and value.

On a 2L Ecotec, I would go for 38mm+ , look for 750cc+ Super Sports bike like the ZZR, Fireblade, GSXR

No need for any high pressure pump+filter or swirl pots, nice and simple.

The only hindrance is the need for a stub manifold, either DIY-cheap or Bogg Bros-expensive.

I'm going with bike carbs on my zetec conversion (eventually!) 38mm Keihins, with Megajolt Ignition control.

coozer

posted on 15/11/07 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
I picked ZX9R carbs for the 40mm choke and TPS... dead cheap off ebay.

If you don't want the TPS then ZZR1100 carbs are also 40mm.

I used teh ZX9r fule pump and a filter. Thats it, dead esy, it runs and ticks and I haven't done any re-jetting yet...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

02GF74

posted on 15/11/07 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

bike carbs are a lot cheaper than say webber carbs, and seem to offer the same power. what bikes use injection throttle bodies?

yes cheaper to buy, assuming you have the required internals, if not, changing th insides: choke, venturi, jets, emulsion tubes etc: alone will be in excess of 200

TBs have the advantage that you don't need to pay anyone to tune them - unless someone correctlyly me, MEgasquirt can self tune itself using an oxygen lambda sensor and you can tweak stuff if you know what you are doing yourself.

you can't do that with bike carbs so a bit more hit and miss ubless you pay for rolling road. then over time parts wear so you would need to repeat the porcess so although EFI seems more expensive at the beginning, I reckon in the long run it works out cheaper.

takumi

posted on 15/11/07 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Humbug.

Bike carbs are cheap and cheerful, easy to setup, better fuel economy than DCOEs, lighter! less parts, very simple to rebuild.

All you need to do to get a half decent setup is change the main jet (bikes generally run leaner than old car engines) to somthing like 1.7mm and you'll be flying. I bought a 1.7mm drill from a model shop and dit it myself.

go bike carbs!

[Edited on 15-11-07 by takumi]

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

blakep82

posted on 15/11/07 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Bike carbs it is

just wasn't sure what size bike engine i'd be looking at. saw a few sets of bike carbs on ebay pretty cheap. setting up may be a mission, but worth it i think.

means i can strip loads of the intake crap off the engine

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 15/11/07 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
thoughts on these?

Click, coz ebay links don't seem to work here

and are these (from a 1100 engine) too big for a 2.0 car engine?
and here

[Edited on 15/11/07 by blakep82]

Jenko

posted on 16/11/07 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
One thing to consider is the actual choke sizes of weber carbs.....for a 2ltr engine a 34mm choke is normally enough (unless you then start tuning it).....Many bike carbs have a self adjusting choke, but I would go for the smallest body size....GSXR600 are 38mm, and can be spaced......

Also, would advise going down the megajolt route for ignition......

blakep82

posted on 16/11/07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
I was planning on going megajolt too

how do you mean the choke is self adjusting? would a carb from a 600cc bike be enough? or should i be going for 750+cc?

i do plan on tuning, although it will be standard to start with

jacko

posted on 16/11/07 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have zx9r carbs on a 2.1l pinto there 40mm chokes and tps for your megajolt
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 16/11/07 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
zx9r it is then
going looking for an engine tomorrow

how about this

this one

[Edited on 16/11/07 by blakep82]

blakep82

posted on 18/11/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
just got a set of zzr1100 carbs off ebay. £21

r1_pete

posted on 18/11/07 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Full power or restricted zzr1100? if the tops have a raised bit in the middle they're restricted - slides won't go all the way up. Flat tops = full power.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 18/11/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
er, don't know actually. didn't know there was a difference...

these ones!

if they're not full power ones, is it as simple as swapping the tops for flat ones?

think at havong a go of these too for keeping which ever aren't as good for spares

[Edited on 18/11/07 by blakep82]

r1_pete

posted on 18/11/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
can't tell from the pics which yours are, the second set are deffo restricted.
Yes just swap the tops, ZXR750 tops do the job, but you'll pay as much for tops as carbs.
these are what the flat tops look like Rescued attachment ZXR750carbs.jpg
Rescued attachment ZXR750carbs.jpg

blakep82

posted on 18/11/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, can't tell by the picture... restriced will do for now though. if its just a case of swapping the tops, then i can always do this later. if i get the other set, i've got a spare set of tops to 'modify' or hack them up, bin them, then replace with the other set

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.