Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil Cooler sandwich plate
robinj66

posted on 7/11/07 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Oil Cooler sandwich plate

I'm about to fit a thermostatic sandwich plate but suddenly I'm unsure if it makes any difference which way round it goes - ie, which face touches the block.

Both outlets seem to access the internal plates and the oil filter will sit in it's normal position. One side of the plate has provision for a rubber seal as per the filter but it struck me that the face mating with the block should also have a rubber seal.

Any advice as to which way round it should go

[img]Documents and SettingsRobinMy DocumentsMy PicturesPB070005.JPG[/img]
[img]Documents and SettingsRobinMy DocumentsMy PicturesPB070007.JPG[/img] Rescued attachment PB070007.JPG
Rescued attachment PB070007.JPG

robinj66

posted on 7/11/07 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
and the other side

ocuments and SettingsRobinMy DocumentsMy PicturesPB070005.JPG" border=0 /> Rescued attachment PB070005.JPG
Rescued attachment PB070005.JPG

bimbleuk

posted on 7/11/07 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using a very similar sandwich plate.

Yes there should be a rubber seal between the engine block and the sandwich. So the rubber seal on the sandwich plate should face the engine. The rubber seal on the filter mates to the slightly concave face on the sandwich plate.

So the first picture is the oil filter side. The second picture mates to the engine block.

[Edited on 7/11/07 by bimbleuk]

robinj66

posted on 7/11/07 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - that's excellent

The browny/orange thing in the corner of the photo is the seal - think I'll be using one from a filter

Chippy

posted on 7/11/07 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Just for your info. if you don't know, thats an oil cooler from a Cossie V6, and it should be attached to the block with a special hollow bolt that has a threaded section to screw the filter onto. If you already know this then I'll get me coat. Cheers Ray
MikeRJ

posted on 7/11/07 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Just for your info. if you don't know, thats an oil cooler from a Cossie V6

Glad someone mentioned it! As it stands it has no thermostatic action at all, it's simply an oil cooler that is plumbed into the engine coolant circuit.

robinj66

posted on 8/11/07 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Ray
Thanks for the info - I have got the hollow fixing bolt.

Was sold to me as thermostat sadwich plate to fit Pinto but I assumed that it would fit my V6 cologne anyway.

Mike
Are you saying I need to connect the two outlets to the coolant - I was intending to connect them to an oil cooler matrix.

MikeRJ

posted on 8/11/07 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinj66
Mike
Are you saying I need to connect the two outlets to the coolant - I was intending to connect them to an oil cooler matrix.

Yes, this is an oil to water cooler. You could connect an oil cooler matrix up to it, but you won't get any oil through it and it won't be doing any cooling! Look at how crusty the two coolant pipe barbs are, if they had oil going though them they would be nice, shiny metal still.

This is what a thermostatic sandwich plate for a remote oil cooler looks like:

Chippy

posted on 8/11/07 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
On the Cossie that is connected to the heater hose take of from the back of the thermostat housing. If yours is the 2.8, or 2.9 standard lump, then you can't do that, so will need to work out how to connect it into the water system. Problem is that they aren't all that good, far better to fit a proper cooler and sandwich plate as Mike has shown, together with a stat in the system. Cheers Ray

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.