Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vauxhall engine date problems
chrsgrain

posted on 11/7/07 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall engine date problems

Hi all,

After some help here - I sent a (quite large) cheque to the guy at Vauxhall who is meant to provide letters stating engine age - didn't get a reply, have now emailed him and he states that he can't find a record of the engine and so can't provide confirmation of age....

Any ideas? Replies by U2U gratefully received as required!

Chris

Edited to say its a C20XE engine, that I happen to know came from an Asta GTE, old enough to avoid cat problems, but don't have any documentation to prove it..

[Edited on 11/7/07 by chrsgrain]

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

bartonp

posted on 11/7/07 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Can they state when certain types/ranges of engine numbers were used? You possibly don't need an exact date, just proof that it's pre- a certain date.
ned

posted on 11/7/07 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly cancel the cheque!

I have a letter from haynes which apparantly isn't enough but states the years the 20xe was used in the astra:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_1743b.jpg

Failing that just get a letterhead from your local dealer (or make one up with details from website) and write it yourself, they're never going to check.

Also if you have donor v5 with matching engine no. use reg date of that vehicle aswell.

Otherwise if you have a v5 from a sierra register the engine no to that car, leave the plug cover off and tell them it's a ford dohc!!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 11/7/07 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Mig web were running a thread on engine No's and what vehicles/dates they were installed. from it you could possibly glean enough information for the aforementioned home document
here's the link
engine no's

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

NS Dev

posted on 11/7/07 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
you have u2u.

anybody know if sva will accept a photocopied v5 as proof?

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

the_fbi

posted on 11/7/07 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
For your own interest, and whilst it doesn't prove the engine blocks age, which is clearly where the engine number is, if you remove the oil filler cap, on the camshaft cap just to the right of the oil cap, you'll see a 2 digit number in a circle.

This is the year the head was made. Since the cam caps live and die with the head its accurate unless some bodger has mixed them up, but in that case you've got bigger issues.

The Migweb list should give you a good rough idea too.

ruudbeckers

posted on 11/7/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I just checked my cam cap adn it appears that my head is from 1990. However, according to the list on migweb, I would say that the engine is a little bit younger. But there are a lot of strange things in the list, so I don't believe it's very helpfull.

I also still need a prove of my engine age for my SVA test (which won't be this year). But as I live in the Netherlands, I don't want to fail during the SVA because they don't accept my prove of engine age.

I also contacted some Vauxhall/Opel dealers, but they al say they need a vin number to check the engine age .

And I don't like to pay 75 pounds for a bloke on migweb to give me a prove of engine age, that's pure cheating.

ned

posted on 12/7/07 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Nat,

I'd just ring the sva cetnre and ask them as they'll be the ones to say yay/nay.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
t.j.

posted on 12/7/07 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ruudbeckers
I just checked my cam cap adn it appears that my head is from 1990. However, according to the list on migweb, I would say that the engine is a little bit younger. But there are a lot of strange things in the list, so I don't believe it's very helpfull.

I also still need a prove of my engine age for my SVA test (which won't be this year). But as I live in the Netherlands, I don't want to fail during the SVA because they don't accept my prove of engine age.

I also contacted some Vauxhall/Opel dealers, but they al say they need a vin number to check the engine age .

And I don't like to pay 75 pounds for a bloke on migweb to give me a prove of engine age, that's pure cheating.

I would write a letter to ADAM OPEL himself, and ask for the details. I'm sure they know the exact year of that engine.

I would def. not fraud with papers.

https://secure.opel.de/service/opelservices/recycling/back/content/inquiry.act

[Edited on 12/7/07 by t.j.]

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

ruudbeckers

posted on 12/7/07 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think it will help to send a letter to Adam himself, but I have just send a letter to Opel in my best German (which is even a lot worse then my Englisch) and hope it will yield something.
nige

posted on 12/7/07 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
engine age

i emailed the guy @ vauxhall a while back
and he told me there was no guarantee
he would prove age but you still had to pay £65.00 i think it was
i bought mine of a mate who had it in his garage
so no proof of age and no proof of purchase or from what vehicle it came
am i screwed s.v.a. wise ??????

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

ruudbeckers

posted on 13/7/07 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
I was just told by a guy, that the date of manufacturing is casted on the engine block. Is this not enough for SVA? Or do they really have to have the date of manufacturing of the vehicle? Cause they could have stored the engine for a few years before putting it in a vehicle, although I think that's unlikely.

As you can see in the picture (sorry for the bad quality), is my engine cated at 31-01-91. However, the head of my engine is made in 1990. Rescued attachment age.jpg
Rescued attachment age.jpg

NS Dev

posted on 13/7/07 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
have you solved it Calvin? No point two of us "solving" it for him

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

chrsgrain

posted on 13/7/07 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yes - all sorted - thanks for the offer Nat.... U2U sent.

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

ruudbeckers

posted on 13/7/07 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
And how did you solve it? Cause I also still have to prove the age of my engine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.