Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust mounting.....
ditchlewis

posted on 29/4/07 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust mounting.....

I was runnung the car up today and the exhaust came loose

the rear mounting and its rivnut had come out of the chassis rail and was just hanging.

I had put a rivnut into the bottom of the lower chassis rail and I was using an "L" shaped bracket.

On the long leg of the "L" i was using a rubber bobbin to fix the exhaust.

there appears to be a couple of problems with this. one is the turning moment pulling the bracket down and pulling the rivnut out of the chassis, the other is the vibration has possibly enlarged the hole so the nut has just fallen out.

what have others done to fix their exhausts?

David Jenkins uses a bobin through the side panel. but he has alloy panels and i have fibreglass.

i have only used one bolt underneath, should i put a second through the floor?

your help is needed

Ditch

givemethebighammer

posted on 29/4/07 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I welded up two T shaped brackets. Put a rivnut into the bottom and side of the chassis tube and then mounted the exhaust on 'mini' exhaust type bobbins. Nothing has falled off yet !

See diagram

excuse the diagram spelling of rivnuts, I was having an 'Allo Allo' moment

[Edited on 29/4/07 by givemethebighammer] Rescued attachment exhaust mount.jpg
Rescued attachment exhaust mount.jpg

omega0684

posted on 29/4/07 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
personally i wouldn't use rivnuts to support a silencer, they are just not up to the job, most silencers and between 3-7kg's so you are gonna have to use something that is tough enough to do the job,

i have use a 4mm L-shaped bracket mounted to a coton real shock which is mounted to a 4mm bar of steal, which is bolted to the chassis with 2 x m10 bolts.( mind you my silencer weighs like 7kg)

just my 2p's worth, but it may spur some imaginative thinking

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ayoungman

posted on 29/4/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I drilled through the grp side and made a mounting plate attached to the chassis side box sections. Bobbins screw into welded nuts on this. Neat and strong ! Rescued attachment exhaust bobbin.JPG
Rescued attachment exhaust bobbin.JPG

"just like that !"

zetec7

posted on 29/4/07 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of welding a couple of tabs onto the underside of my chassis raill, and having them come out underneath the silencer at both ends to support it, with rubber doughnuts to absorb the vibration & tuning moments...does this sound good?

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 30/4/07 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ditchlewis
David Jenkins uses a bobin through the side panel. but he has alloy panels and i have fibreglass.

Not quite that simple! There's a bit of steel inside that's welded to the chassis - the bobbin goes through that, with a bolt to hold it.

And don't worry - once you get these recurring niggles out of the way the car'll be fine. At least it starts and runs now!

cheers,
David

ditchlewis

posted on 30/4/07 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like the drivers seat is comming out then.

i have panelled the inside of the car in alloy sheet so i cannot weld a bracket on to the frame.

i also have a neoprine mini exhaust mount shaped like a T this requires 2 bolts to fix and i will have to drill right through the chassis from the outside to the inside.

since i have a layer of alloy and then fibreglass over the chassis rail, so i cannot weald up the origina mounting hole, what is the best way to fill it?

By the way David, Jake was most impressed with your car and said it awsome..

Ditch

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.