Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brazen(?) pinto sump mod
gahgah

posted on 25/3/07 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
brazen(?) pinto sump mod

I have read all the heplful hints/tips on the pinto sump mod.
I have an arc welder and in years gone by winged a few MOTs with holes blown in sills covered up with Isopon and underseal but my brazing is much better.

What do people think of brazing the sump rather than welding it?

jacko

posted on 25/3/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi that will be ok but screw the sump down to stop it warping i mig them but always screw them down . only cut 40mm of the bottom or you will have trouble with the pick up pipe
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 25/3/07 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
don't arc weld! the sump is far too thin IMO. Mig if you can. the rest what he said^

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

gazza285

posted on 25/3/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
No problem brazing it at all.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 25/3/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
as long as its fairly strong (its not likely to be pulled around, just vibrations i guess) and oil tight i guess its all good.

how are you brazing? i guess with a gas torch?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

stevebubs

posted on 25/3/07 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gahgah

What do people think of brazing the sump rather than welding it?

Brazed my zetec sump....2 years on and it's still fine...

stevebubs

posted on 25/3/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto on the "bolt it down" method. I didn't then had to bend it back into shape with clamps.

BTW My brazing is not pretty....

[Edited on 25/3/07 by stevebubs] Rescued attachment normal_Sump_007.jpg
Rescued attachment normal_Sump_007.jpg

PeterW

posted on 25/3/07 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Hi that will be ok but screw the sump down to stop it warping i mig them but always screw them down . only cut 40mm of the bottom or you will have trouble with the pick up pipe
Jacko

Why...??

Are you saying that if you **only** cut 40mm off you don't have to shorten the pickup, or if you cut off more than 40mm then the pickup has to be shortened at the curve or something equally as difficult...?

Cheers

Pete

viatron

posted on 26/3/07 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Would have thought brazing was actually a better method than mig, it flows and should give you a better chance of a leak free job.
NS Dev

posted on 26/3/07 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
ditto viatron, as long as you can do it with it bolted to an engine block or strong worktop offcut etc to control distortion, brazing is actually the best way to do it, as strong if not stronger than a migged one.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

DarrenW

posted on 26/3/07 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeterW
quote:
Jacko

Why...??

Are you saying that if you **only** cut 40mm off you don't have to shorten the pickup, or if you cut off more than 40mm then the pickup has to be shortened at the curve or something equally as difficult...?

Cheers

Pete

shortening too much causes problem with the curve on the pick up. I shortened mine till the sump was just a touch lower than the bell housing and just got away with it. The thought here was do i take out the sump or the gearbox if worse is to happen???

I also used 3mm steel on the base plate and angled it up at the front to act as a bit of a skid plate (also helps to keep oil back near pickup a bit).

jacko

posted on 26/3/07 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
quote:
Originally posted by PeterW
quote:
Jacko

Why...??

Cheers

Pete

shortening too much causes problem with the curve on the pick up. I shortened mine till the sump was just a touch lower than the bell housing and just got away with it. The thought here was do i take out the sump or the gearbox if worse is to happen???

I also used 3mm steel on the base plate and angled it up at the front to act as a bit of a skid plate (also helps to keep oil back near pickup a bit).

Hi Darren is spot on
Jacko

stevebubs

posted on 26/3/07 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I shortened the pickup.... Rescued attachment normal_IMG_2228.jpg
Rescued attachment normal_IMG_2228.jpg

gahgah

posted on 26/3/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everybody - brazing it is - screw down the sump - no more than 40mm off!
I feel very confident!

stevebubs

posted on 27/3/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
If it helps, I think most shortened zetec sumps are about 160mm deep

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.