Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bell housings
cct7kitcars

posted on 2/1/07 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
bell housings

any body know of a company that does type 9 conversion kits for diff engines

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Chardonnay in one hand, Tequila in the other, body bearing battle scars and totally worn out, screaming- WOO HOO!! What a Ride!

shades

posted on 2/1/07 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Raw engineering do one to convert Type 9 to a Toyota 4age

Thanks
Adrian

ned

posted on 2/1/07 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
most bellhousings seem to be sold by the companies associated with tuning/selling/building the particular engine so different companies for different engine bellhousings.

...unless you can find who does the casting for all the different types (assuming it's one company not all done in different places)

Maybe try Titan, I had mine sent direct from them (the manufacturer) when I ordered it through a 3rd party (Rally Nuts) this is for a vx xe and I'm quite certain it's the same one sold by sbd and probably yukspeed and others..

otherwise westfield/quantum/shawspeed for zetec se
practically everywhere sells duratec ones these days
raw do toyota stuff
rallydesign do cheap ally ford (rs2000) style jobbies
caterham or robin hood do/did some rover ones iirc
rv8 uses a t5 box with custom bellhousing or auto bellhousing and adapter plate if not using a rover box.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 2/1/07 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cct7kitcars
type 9 conversion kits for diff engines

What's a diff engine? You can buy Type 9 bellhousings for Vauxhall engines, Rover K-Series and the old A-Series off the top of my head.

cct7kitcars

posted on 2/1/07 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
subaru 2000 turbo

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Chardonnay in one hand, Tequila in the other, body bearing battle scars and totally worn out, screaming- WOO HOO!! What a Ride!

MikeRJ

posted on 2/1/07 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cct7kitcars
subaru 2000 turbo

It would rip a type 9 to bits quite quickly I suspect.

NS Dev

posted on 2/1/07 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
not much point!! Even with a gearkit in it the type 9 won't stand over 275hp and 220lb ft of torque.

For a subaru turbo you'll need a stronger box.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ned

posted on 2/1/07 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'd hazard a guess you'd need a mitchell cotts, quaiffe or elite box to cope with that sort of output. You might get away with an mt75 if the integral bellhousing is machined off and an adapter bellhousing made, but then I thought that's pretty much what mithell cotts or one of the other gearbox manufcaturers already did?!

otherwise a t5 will do the job but is big and heavy.

I'm assuming this isn't to go into a 7 type car as I thought flat 4's with all the ancillaries and turbo's were too wide to fit? (not saying that it couldn't be done somehow though)

Ned.

[Edited on 2/1/07 by ned]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
greggors84

posted on 2/1/07 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe you could stick the turbos out the side panels and and the inlets in the fresh air. That would look pretty cool!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

shades

posted on 2/1/07 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not keep the Subaru box, and disable/loose the center diff and just use the output to the rear wheels?

Thanks
Adrian

coozer

posted on 2/1/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Get one of these! I've got a nice box out of a rwd Toyota Celica that will handle that sort of power. Rescued attachment XT BOX 1 small.JPG
Rescued attachment XT BOX 1 small.JPG

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

scotmac

posted on 11/1/07 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
I'd hazard a guess you'd need a mitchell cotts, quaiffe or elite box to cope with that sort of output. You might get away with an mt75 if the integral bellhousing is machined off and an adapter bellhousing made, but then I thought that's pretty much what mithell cotts or one of the other gearbox manufcaturers already did?!

otherwise a t5 will do the job but is big and heavy.

I'm assuming this isn't to go into a 7 type car as I thought flat 4's with all the ancillaries and turbo's were too wide to fit? (not saying that it couldn't be done somehow though)

Ned.

[Edited on 2/1/07 by ned]

A t5 will do the job, and it is not big and heavy. Similar dimensions and weight to a type 9. T5's are about 75lbs.

ned

posted on 11/1/07 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Not similar dimensions at all, quite a bit bigger. I bought one and it wouldn't go anywhere near the transmission tunnel that fits the type9. Timf has a diagram of a t5 in his archive with dimensions iirc.

Ned.

Volvorsport

posted on 11/1/07 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
a tremec TKO at 600ft/lbs rating can be had for around $1600 in the states , they use a T5 type bellhousing if you were thinking that way . i think a type 9 would fail before 220 ft/lbs torque .

an adapter plate can be made quite crudely as long as you can drill accurately - if the box will lend itself to that , otherwise machine the two bellousings and weld them back together .

of course you could always manufacture a new bellhousing in steel as a prototype .

my choice would be a getrag with adapterplate .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.