Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tell me about this engine (xe?)
JoelP

posted on 22/11/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
tell me about this engine (xe?)

one for the experts, what can you tell me about this? How much is a standard one worth? Rescued attachment xe.JPG
Rescued attachment xe.JPG

JoelP

posted on 22/11/06 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
or is the vauxhall one called vx? im so dumb
MkIndy7

posted on 22/11/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Nope Vx is short for Vauxhall!

There's lots of info on here already on em,
about 160 BHP as standard, Cast Block Alloy Head and Rev Like mad!

I think they'd suit a 7 very well not too much power low down (as to cause traction problems, or too much torque steer in a FWD) but when you really rev em by god do they shift! and they just keep on pulling!

(The 1 in the pic might not have had the easiest life, just looking there's a Pipercross filter on, some random wire slung accross near the bulk head so if they can't be arsed fitting that better lets hope they've been arsed to change the oil when required!)

[Edited on 22/11/06 by MkIndy7]

Pants On Fire

posted on 22/11/06 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
There's one on fastroadandtrack.co.uk at the moment part rebuilt at £900.
You can get some decent numbers out of them,
I fitted a lightened flywheel last month and had it set up on a Dyno at 248 BHP and nudging 175 lbft of torque with an MBE management system.

fesycresy

posted on 22/11/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you're after one stick with the earlier coscast head not the later german designed one.

ID Coscast

Ages since I've worked on one, but still prone to bullshit horse power figures.

From £100 to £250 for a coscast head motor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Pants On Fire

posted on 22/11/06 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Bullshit BHP figures below, granted this is from 2004, I cant get my scanner working to scan the Dyno from 2 weeks ago showing a marginal BHP improvement.

[Edited on 22/11/06 by Pants On Fire]

MikeRJ

posted on 22/11/06 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
SBD claim 208bhp from their throttle body conversion, and whilst this was suspected to be somewhat optimistic Dave Walker, managed to get an SBD equipped XE very close to that figure on his own rollers.

[Edited on 22/11/06 by MikeRJ]

DarrenW

posted on 22/11/06 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Pants on fire - they are indeed very BIG BHP figures

I suspect that is not a std engine.

MikeRJ

posted on 22/11/06 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Pants on fire - they are indeed very BIG BHP figures

I suspect that is not a std engine.

It says SBD 252 spec which I can find no reference to, but anything over the 208 kit involves internal changes such as cams, and the higher power kits have new pistons rods etc.

chriscook

posted on 23/11/06 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
I think I paid £125 for mine but it wasn't in a car so wasn't really sure of its condition. Have done all the gaskets and 180hp on carbs.
Peteff

posted on 23/11/06 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
A whole cavalier with the same engine and 2 months tax went for £250 just up the road a short while back. Admitted it had been to the moon and back mileage wise but they are all a bit old now aren't they?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ned

posted on 23/11/06 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
as nsdev has said many times buy an mot failure rust bucket, strip it, sell a few bits and weigh in the shell.

I've paid £180 and £100 for the two complete engines I've bought. mine has steel rods and high compression oversize pistons and a mild hydraulic profile cam and made a realistic 220bhp, 170lb/ft. Standard engine on carbs should make 180, as said sbd claim just over 200bhp with throttle bodies (with the right exhaust and ancillaries) but nsdev has proven this on his grasser engine.

What elsedo you want to know?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pants On Fire

posted on 23/11/06 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenWI suspect that is not a std engine.

How very dare you! It's had neons, tints and a bad boy dump valve fitted at Halfrauds innit.

It's far from standard, the 252 kit isnt available anymore from SBD, the final piece of the kit was an exhaust manifold which wasn't originally fitted, I'm having this made at Simpsons, also titanium valve caps were never fitted to the original build so these were added over the summer as the original caps had started to crack.

Another job for the winter is to uprate the fuel system, I get fuel starvation on fast left handers with 1/2 a tank or less

NS Dev

posted on 23/11/06 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
As ned's post, buy a whole car, never an engine unless its rebuilt will FULL evidence and very reputable seller (rarely found on ebay! )

Last one cost me £200 for the whole car, got more than £200 back for the remnants so engine was actually £-35.

Mine makes 176hp @ wheels, 204 flywheel, and is completely standard.

I have now, strangely, come across two modded engines run on the same rollers that made LESS power than my std one!!!.

Rebuild with care is the answer.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JoelP

posted on 23/11/06 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
The engine is currently in my mates van, and for sale. I think its about M reg, and he wants a grand. Apparently its chipped, and has an air filter and tubular exhaust manifold. Goes well for a van! I just wondered if this was actually the right engine and cost, which has been nicely answered thanks! Its had the digi dash added too.
NS Dev

posted on 23/11/06 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
The one I paid £200 for was an L reg cavalier 16v, which needed a cat for the MOT and a trackrod end, other than that is was pretty much mint, still got crushed though after I weighed it in!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.