Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4x4 boxes help!
thomas4age

posted on 31/8/06 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
4x4 boxes help!

Hey all,

I'm looking for the following.

a 4x4 box like the MT75 4wd from the saphire cossie 4x4's but I need one which has the transfer case really close to the front axle.

lets explain, The box may be very long, as in: the tail-piece where the RWD driveshafts goes into. BUT the wider transfercase piece doesn't fit between the chassis so that needs to be located just behind or inside the bellhousing.
so that the driveshaft to the front diff is very short, but still allowes a diff to be mounted in front of the engine.

I know dax has the MT75 4x4 in place but there's a bulge inside the footwell, and thats not an option for my install (don't ask)

so options anyone?

and has anyone got a MT75 box lying around that they are willing to mesure up?

I need the following (see drawing)
A overall length
B length from rearmost part of the transfercase to the bellhousing face
C width at widest point on transfercase

grtz ThomasImage deleted by owner

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

the_fbi

posted on 31/8/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall F28 but the TXB really needs looking after with identical tyre depths etc.
It also needs its high pressure hydraulic system with it so may not be a viable option.

mark chandler

posted on 31/8/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
FWD Gearbox and take the driveshafts to the diffs.

Gearing will be appalling low of course !

Or you could stick a vitara transfer box on the back of a standard gearbox if thats any help, they are propshaft driven so location may not be such and issue ?

[Edited on 31/8/06 by mark chandler]

brycheiniog

posted on 31/8/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I would be impressed if you could build a 4x4 Striker .

It might be worth asking on either the Sylva or Se7ens email lists as there are at least two people who are planning 4x4 Furys...

Jonathan

froggy

posted on 31/8/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
dont think there is any way round it as i have had to cut my tunnel up to get the box in and you need to allow for the added width of the prop running forward too. the early solid front prop is a bit on the heavy side but the later tube front prop will mate up to a volvo centre bearing giving you a split as in a seven the front prop will be over a metre long, mine is worse as it is a v8 . unless your well over 200hp its not worth the trouble imo. you could look at the earlier type nine based 4x4 box but they are a bit thin on the ground now. i can measure up my box but im more interested in what you plan to do? heres my box with the tube prop on Rescued attachment bad kitten2..jpg
Rescued attachment bad kitten2..jpg

froggy

posted on 31/8/06 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
as you can see the prop will intrude a couple of inches past the width of the bellhousing and from the centre line of the rear prop the front is 7 1/2 inches offset and just over 3" below it
Liam

posted on 31/8/06 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you want something just like the MT75, i.e. longitudinal and with front and rear propshaft outputs (no integral front or rear diff), but with the transfer case at the front, then you're out of luck. The closest to that would be 4WD transaxles like subaru and audi use which incorporate the front diff just behind the bellhousing. This restricts you to having the engine in front of the front axle though. You have the same problem with all the tranverse 4WD boxes aavailable.

If you need freedom of engine and axle relative position then the MT75 or similar arrangements are the only real solution (other than creative not-as-intended use of components such as the above example of using a conventional transverse FWD gearbox as a box + centre diff and source 1:1 front and rear diffs).

The bulge into the driver's footwell really isn't intrusive in a seven arrangement as it's under your raised knee. Have a look in my photo archive. Perhaps you could accomodate the bulge on the other side? The [rare] 4WD versions of the BMW 3 and 5 series have an arrangement like the ford system but mirrored left/right.

You said dont ask, but I am Go on - tell me what you're planning...

Hope that helps

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 31/8/06 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Almost forgot (my interpretation of your diagram included for clarity)...

A: (overall length including output 'prongs' - about 32"

B: (length up to back of transfer case step-off) - about 24" (but depends if you count the gusset/web behind it.)

C: (width from edge of transfer case step-off to other side of case) - about 12"

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
froggy

posted on 1/9/06 at 02:08 AM Reply With Quote
liam im making a habit of cribbing off you ,ive only got one snail but its a whopper Rescued attachment carbs 006.jpg
Rescued attachment carbs 006.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.