Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec bike carb manifold idea
bob

posted on 9/8/06 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec bike carb manifold idea

I have a plan and thought i would run it by the people who know better than me to see if its duff or not.

I will be fitting an 1800 zetec in the close season and plan top fit bike carbs and megajolt, the inlet manifold needs to be made and i have to fit the carbs round exit to zetec head oval entry

I just happen to have in stock a zetec DCOE twin weber manifold which has the correct oval at head entry, my thoughts were to make an adapter plate to go between the bike carbs and the weber manifold. This would be far easier than making a complete manifold IMO,i was just wondering if there was any reason the probable 1" extra length in inlet could be a problem.

I understand the carbs would even further out of the bonnet side, but i know i will have to have a bulge anyway to accomodate the zetec.

Any thoughts Rescued attachment zetec inlet0538.JPG
Rescued attachment zetec inlet0538.JPG

Surrey Dave

posted on 9/8/06 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Would be fine if you can get the spaing right.

Thought of doing that myself.............

although I believe that I can get an adaptor plate to fit my cvh manifold to a Zetec

stevebubs

posted on 9/8/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Perfectly possible...just need the correct adapters.

I used the ones that came with my TBs but they're not too hard to make - do a search, I think one guy made a set using nothing more than a bit of billett, some hole cutters and drills, a hacksaw and a file....

http://gallery.cantcatchme.net/thumbnails.php?album=22

Guinness

posted on 9/8/06 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
OiOi has just done a very similar thing with his westfield.

Air Filter > Trumpets -> GSXR Throttle Bodies -> Custom Made Adaptor -> SBD Manifold -> 2.0 ltr XE

(-> is a bit of samco hose and some jublie clips)

It does stick out the side of the bonnet quite a long way but that is down to trumpet length not the set up. It is very effective!

See here for over view:-

and here for mike smoking the tyres up the hill:-

Mike

the_fbi

posted on 9/8/06 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't this where people generally use the ST170 inlet and stick on some samco hoses between carb and manifold?

Pic and eBay link...

http://cgi1.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MakeTrack&item=110017236034

Clearly there is a cost element but the twin 40 manifold could be sold to cover some of this.

Slightly OT, why do so many people stick with the 1.8 zetec rather than the 2.0? Having driven both (although the 2.0 was a Y2K slightly higher power one) the difference in both power and drivability is so much better with the 2L.

[Edited on 9/8/06 by the_fbi]

[Edited on 9/8/06 by the_fbi]

bob

posted on 9/8/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Chris
Your right re 2 litre zetec but my 1800 came free and is in perfect running order with not to high mileage,if i get bored i will throw the 1800 water pump and flywheel on a 2 litre i'm sure.

givemethebighammer

posted on 9/8/06 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just make sure you get the carbs at the right angle (bike carbs need to be mounted at quite a steep angle) and you should be fine.

Wil

ps the ideal inlet tract length for a zetec is apparently 35cm from valve to trumpet lip (dunnell tests IIRC)

[Edited on 9/8/06 by givemethebighammer]

Monkeybasher

posted on 10/8/06 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like somebody needs a LSD
DarrenW

posted on 10/8/06 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
The other option is to cut the pipes off existing manifold to leave just the head flange and weld new pipes onto it.

mcerd1

posted on 10/8/06 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Bogg brothers do a manifold for the zetec

but assuming that you don't want to spend the money on that you could just spend a few ££ on a plate cut (laser or water jet) to suit your head

all you'd need is an accurate drawing or possibly just a gasket (depending on who cuts it for you)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.