Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover V8 to Ford MT75
nludkin

posted on 26/6/06 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Rover V8 to Ford MT75

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect a Rover V8 to a MT75 box? I currently have 2 good condition MT75 gearboxes and would hate to get rid of them if I could use them via a simple bellhousing adapter.
froggy

posted on 26/6/06 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
you can mate them with an adapter plate as liam has done with his rover v6 or do it the hard way and mate the front of a rover bellhousing to the mt box. unless you want four wheel drive there are other options for the rover lump such as t5 or supra boxes Rescued attachment bad kitten2..jpg
Rescued attachment bad kitten2..jpg

nludkin

posted on 27/6/06 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Cool, so adapter plate it is then. I will start phoning around today to see if anyones up for the challenge :-)

Cheers.

Liam

posted on 27/6/06 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't call your way the hard way neccessarily Froggy!

You need to have a good look and a measure to see what you got to play with. For example the RV8 flywheel may not fit in the MT75 bellhousing; or the clutch spline on the gearbox input shaft may not be where you want it etc etc. Or it may work out fine.

It was OK for me cos i have a buddy who could machine me a custom ally flywheel to fit my honda engine and take a ford clutch and compensate for the thickness of the adaptor plate. You've then got to mount the starter motor somehow.

Cutting and shutting a bellhousing means you can definately use standard flywheel and clutch and starter mounting, but you need access to big machines to get the cut faces true and of course good ally welding. The steel adaptor plate suited my skills and access to machinery, but cutting and shutting a bellhousing may well be cheaper and simpler for someone with the right stuff.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TL

posted on 28/6/06 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
RV8 flywheel won't fit in a DOHC bell housing. I'm pretty sure it won't even fit in a V6 bellhousing, the the cut & shut MT75/RV8 bellhousing is about the easiest way to go, but even then it is crucial to get the alignment spot on, both concenticity and angular. I did this myself. (I have access to machines), and had it tigged.

I never got round to using it, so an appropriate amount of money might part me from it
The easiest way is to sell your 2 MT75s & buy an LT77. By the time you mess about paying for machining and / or tigging, it will probably be cheaper.

HTH

Cheers,

Terry

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.