Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: replacing fuel hose with metal pipe
02GF74

posted on 20/2/06 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
replacing fuel hose with metal pipe

Has anyone done this on a completed car? I know what to do but since the panelling, engine, gearbox, prop. etc. are in place, I am wondering how tricky it is going to be to get to the transmission tunnel and add fittings.

What are the chances of there being access from the top with the transmission tunnel cover removed or should I try to jack up one side onto ramps to get it from below?

JAG

posted on 20/2/06 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
My fuel pipes/brake pipes and wiring loom run along the TOP of the transmission tunnel and I have made a half-round cover, in Aluminium, to close it all in. The cover fits from inside the car. There are pictures in my archive area.

You could try something similar.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Kissy

posted on 20/2/06 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
If you go to copper or Cu/Ni please make sure you can support it at frequent intervals otherwise you run the risk of cracking.
DarrenW

posted on 20/2/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Other option is to use braided fuel line. This is what i have. Still needs to be clipped up tho of course but easier to route. Access depends on your car. If you can remove transmission tunnel panels i guess it will be a lot easier.

You seem to be having to redo a lot of work with your part finished project. Sounds like you are having fun tho'. Nothing beats doing it properly. Im reaping the rewards now - no problems after 3 monthe and 500 miles on the road.

02GF74

posted on 20/2/06 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

You seem to be having to redo a lot of work with your part finished project.

A lot of it is ok (apart from the tack rods) but I like to do things properly and that is what takes time. An example is finding the hose cable tied to the brake pipe bracket on the diff; common sense would be to tie it to the body work; would have been no extra effort to do that.

I can just leave the fuel hose in there but metal pipe will last for ever and save a few g's; neater too.

I won't really know how hard/easy until I tray it; but someone here I would have though has tied to access the trans. tunnel after building.

rusty nuts

posted on 20/2/06 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Have you thought about flexible plastic fuel pipe? easier to work with and light.
Mark Allanson

posted on 20/2/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Have you thought about flexible plastic fuel pipe? easier to work with and light.

I tried plastic first, which was my first build disaster, it will not bend well at all, it kinks without warning, springs out of the retaining clips....

I used galvanised steel in the end, which was hard to bend, but stayed where I put it and is very strong. I was very pleased with the results. Rescued attachment Fuel Line Route.jpg
Rescued attachment Fuel Line Route.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

02GF74

posted on 21/2/06 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Not so much of a question what to use - I have the kunifer fuel pipe - more of whether I can fit it from the tip or from below.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.