Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Silencer heat shield
Humbug

posted on 2/11/05 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Silencer heat shield

First off - do I really need one? As far as looks go, I've got a stainless silencer, so it's quite reasonable.

So, for practical purposes, would it only be to make it not so burning hot if someone accidentally touches the silencer?

If I do decide to get one, what about the washing machine drum idea as material? I just looked inside my washing machine and it looks like the holes are stamped from the inside, so it would need bending against the curve to go round the silencer- not sure how easy that would be. Also, given the depth of the drum I think it would need to be bent perpendicular to the shape of the drum. Anyone done this successfully?

Ben_Copeland

posted on 2/11/05 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using thick ally chequer plate, had a mate bend it into a curve using his bench press. Just need to cut some slots into it. Lots of work, but should look the nuts!

I'm using it to cover the nasty edges on the exhaust mountings, etc and cos i like them.

I know a lot of people get through without them

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

mookaloid

posted on 3/11/05 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
I think most Indys don't have them. Actually the silencers don't seem to get blazing hot, the down pipes are much hotter and yet people don't make guards for them.

Unless your silencer is very unsightly or you need to cover up sharp edges I would try it without one first.

Cheers

Mark

JAG

posted on 3/11/05 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Main reason for fitting one to my car was to cover up the sharp edges on the front edge of the silencer and to cover the Lambda sensor blanking plug in the down pipe.

The blanking plug was about 2" from the entrance to the silencer. By making the heat sheild over hang the front of the silencer a little it stopped the SVA mans sphere touching it.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

geoff shep

posted on 3/11/05 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto Mookaloid - I can usually put my hand on the silencer quite happily whilst driving, it's nice and warm. The pipe is the bit that gets v hot - with the hottest bits being nearer to the engine (obviously!).
theconrodkid

posted on 3/11/05 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
made mine from my dearly departed machine,was suprislingy easy to do

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/11/05 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
A different approach, it passed the SVA with no problems, the smear on the silencer is part of the MOT testers leg! I had to make one after that

I painted it red for the SVA, but never got around to painting it blue, I would have been worried about small children touching the exhaust when parked, but less of a risk now Rescued attachment ExhaustShield.jpg
Rescued attachment ExhaustShield.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.