Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bellhousing
Ian Pearson

posted on 9/9/05 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Bellhousing

Having read the article in Septembers PPC, I've decided to attempt to make an adapter plate to mate the 3SGE to the type 9 box.

I'm looking for a bellhousing and the following are boxes that are supposed to mate to the 3SGE. I'm not sure if the bellhousings will split from the all the gearboxes, so if any of you have any experience/knowledge of them, I'd be grateful for your input.

W55
W50
T50

Regards, Ian.

NS Dev

posted on 9/9/05 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
as a most unhelpful aside!!!!..........

in the past I have been involved with making an adaptor plate from a getrag gearbox which was only available with an integral bellhousing. On this we bandsawed off the gearbox casing just behind the front bearing area, then machined this area flat in the lathe and then followed along the lines of the ppc article.....................

just to point out you don't have to have a removable housing as long as you can sacrifice a gearbox!

albertz

posted on 9/9/05 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to make my own bellhousing to join the Toyota 4AGE engine to the type 9. I used two aluminium bellhousings, one from each donor. I was slightly fortunate that the length of the input shaft on the type 9 was longer than the Toyota bellhousing, which resulted in "simply" machining the flange off the type 9 housing and offsetting and welding it to the Toyota housing. This meant that i kept the toyota clutch mechanism excatly as per the manufacturer intended and simply repaced the clutch plate for a Sierra plate, which is needed to match the splines of the input shaft. The main issue was establishing the overall face to face length required and centering the box and the engine, other than that locating a suitable spigot bearing was the only other hassle.

It works perfectly well and only very occasionally jumps out of 4th on the over-run (probably slightly out of alignment). Not that i am too bothered about that right now. There are a couple of pics in my archive.

owelly

posted on 9/9/05 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
http://ppcmag.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32&whichpage=1
might be of some use??

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Trev Borg

posted on 10/9/05 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
I wish i'd thought of that!!!!!!!

That looks like a great project.

Hope it goes well for you

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 10/9/05 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
i rather do that and f*$k it up a few times than pay the money for a bellhousing

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Trev Borg

posted on 10/9/05 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
if there is a bellhousing available, the choice of making one or buying would be nice. But if there is not one you can buy of the shelf, your options are limited.

Making my Engine RWD was not easy, but it looks like its goona work.

Main problems areas are.

original sump was very deep
fabricate new shallow wide sump, fit oil accumulator.

Flywheel has no spigot bearing
Find one that the correct outside diameter for the hole in the flywheel (if it has one), and the correct in side diameter for the gearbox shaft.

No off the shelf belhousing available
Calculate face to face length for bellhousing and fabricate the bloody thing.

What clutch plate to use
original alfa was 228mm diameter, and the ford box needs a 1" 23 spline plate
Solution is fit a Galaxy clutch plate as it does the business ( this took a lot searching to find the right one)

Clutch operation and bearing.
either use the clutch arm from the engine donor, gearbox donor, or fit a concentric one (mondeo, or saab) what ever takes your fancy.

All in all, i would say do a bit of research before attempting a one off.

Bollox!! what am i saying 'JUST GO FOR IT'

[Edited on 10/9/2005 by Trev Borg]

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

Peteff

posted on 10/9/05 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
The other option is an adaptor if you have room for it. One side drilled and countersunk for allen heads into the engine and the other drilled and tapped for your bellhousing bolts. An idea of it here mating a V8. Rescued attachment V8 ready.jpg
Rescued attachment V8 ready.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Volvorsport

posted on 10/9/05 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
you could always make a centering ring that fits the sleeve of the gearbox , and locates the bellhousing .

all the getrag conversions you can buy in sweden have this item .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

gazza285

posted on 10/9/05 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
The other option is an adaptor if you have room for it. One side drilled and countersunk for allen heads into the engine and the other drilled and tapped for your bellhousing bolts.

That is how I did it when I put a Pug diesel into my T4 van. I turned up a spacer to go between the Pug crank and the VW flywheel so the clutch was in the same position as well.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ian Pearson

posted on 10/9/05 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree or not. Does the bellhousing from the short input shaft Type 9, fit the long input shaft Type 9? If so, provided I can sort out a spigot bearing and clutch to fit the 3SGE, the adapter plate should take care the extra length of the input shaft?
owelly

posted on 11/9/05 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Yes. The bellhousings are interchangeable.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Ian Pearson

posted on 11/9/05 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks All.

Am I correct in thinking that the long input shaft box came from V6 powered cars?

[Edited on 11/9/05 by Ian Pearson]

Liam

posted on 11/9/05 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Pearson
Not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree or not. Does the bellhousing from the short input shaft Type 9, fit the long input shaft Type 9? If so, provided I can sort out a spigot bearing and clutch to fit the 3SGE, the adapter plate should take care the extra length of the input shaft?

Dont know if the 4-pot bellhousing is any shorter than the V6 bellhousing - the longer input shaft might just be cos the spigot hole is a bit further away on a V6. You really wont know how your combination is going to work out until you have all the bits and taken some measurements! I made an adaptor plate for my combo and had to take up the extra space (even more than the plate thickness as it turned out) with a custom flywheel (good job I have a cnc machining buddy!). Count yourself lucky you have a removable bellhousing to chop up!

Liam

NS Dev

posted on 11/9/05 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Count yourself lucky you have a removable bellhousing to chop up!

Liam

quite!

just as the point I made earlier, if not you'll need to start chopping up a gearbox!

Peteff

posted on 11/9/05 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I made an adaptor plate for my combo and had to take up the extra space

Cut some off the input shaft if it's too long?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeRJ

posted on 12/9/05 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Cut some off the input shaft if it's too long?

Makes it tricky to get the remaining "stump" into the spigot bearing I would think!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.