Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 Gearbox
phoenix70

posted on 4/8/05 at 02:21 AM Reply With Quote
Type 9 Gearbox

Dumb and simple question.

Can someone tell me where the oil filler is on a Type 9 Gearbox, had a look all round mine, but just couldn't spot it.

Cheers

Scott

mookaloid

posted on 4/8/05 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
It's on the side - there is a large allen key sticking out of it in this picture

Cheers

Mark Rescued attachment gearbox.jpg
Rescued attachment gearbox.jpg

jos

posted on 4/8/05 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Do you not just whip off the top cover and fill with 1.1l ish of oil????

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

DarrenW

posted on 4/8/05 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Jos - is 1.1litres the recommend volume out of the manual? i would have thought it doesnt matter how you get it in there as long as its correct amount. I know the theory of using the cap head hole - fill until it starts to run out - but the hole is not always easily accessible. Top filling sounds like a good suggestion.
Does anyone else have suggestion? What type of oil does everyone use (is this the same oil as goes into diff?).

Cheers,
Darren.

David Jenkins

posted on 4/8/05 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
I brazed a small disc of steel to the top of mine, with a threaded hole for a plug in it. I can now unscrew a plate next to the battery and get at the filler hole.

My next objective is to fix a dip-stick to the plug... hopefully I've got the position right to avoid all the internal gubbins!

David

indykid

posted on 4/8/05 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
if it's in an indy, the normal filler plug is useless, as there is simply no access to it.

i whipped the top off mine, used a long bit of clear hose to suck out the old oil - not recommended, but functional (it pulled some nasty crap out) - then used a bit of card to make a dipstick to measure oil level from the top of the case, by measuring down to the filler plug on the outside.

istr it needs 75W/90 semi synth.
hth
tom

johnjulie

posted on 4/8/05 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Fitting a dipstick is an excellent idea, you can also fit a drain plug in the base.
Always use the correct type of oil.
Comma SX75W/90, or Ford semi synthetic gear oil, ESD M2C 175-A.
Cheers John

Benzine

posted on 4/8/05 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
if it's in an indy, the normal filler plug is useless, as there is simply no access to it.

I angle grinded a big allen key down and it worked pretty well from beneath the car.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 4/8/05 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
well due to the mutant nature of my car (the not finished one, not the new one) i can get perfect access to the top plate just by removing the top of the transmission tunnel It would be damned fiddly to get to the side plug though! Are you meant to just syphon the old oil out? seems a bit heath robinson...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.