Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Coolant route and fixings
Benzine

posted on 14/7/05 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Coolant route and fixings

After searching the forum with no success I thought I'd post about my coolant hoses. I have just made a nice braket for the expansion tank and now I need to work out where the 2 pipes will go.

On the below pic: The top blue pipe goes from the top of the rad to the expansion tank. When clipped in place the hose clears the exhaust/rocker cover etc with plenty of room but does it need to be secured down (e.g. where i've drawn red line to represent brackets coming from the rocker cover)

2nd pipe: Can this be fixed onto the engine mount (same question for the clutch cable)?

The big fat red pipe is another potential route, fixing it to the chassis rails

Also how are pipes fixed to where they need to be? Are zip ties enough? Large P clips?

Thanks for any help

[Edited on 14/7/05 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 14/7/05 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Large P Clips - I'd route them away from exhaust or are you going to heat wrap the headers?

Benzine

posted on 14/7/05 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I was going to heat wrap them, I forgot to ask about that in my post.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ditchlewis

posted on 15/7/05 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Nice cam cover, who supplied it?

I have used the same pipe routing as you, but i have retained a modified original cam cover. which has some additional fixing points on it.

The donor car (ford sierra - Pinto) had some metal pipe retaining clips on it that i used on my new engine. i mounted 2 under the exhaust manifold which i used existing bolt holes to fix into. the top hose clip was fixed onto the cam cover. you could put it onto an exhaust stud but you would have to insulate the pipe to prevent heat transfer. See sketch attached (excuse the art work).

these clips are metal and bend easily to the required position. they can be painted up also. i will try and take a photo this weekend if you want.

Ditch

ditchlewis

posted on 15/7/05 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry the picture did not attach Rescued attachment rad hose clip.jpg
Rescued attachment rad hose clip.jpg

ayoungman

posted on 15/7/05 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
I used a stainless pipe secured to the block. It runs from the pump to the heater. You could use a similar route. This is unaffected by heat from exhaust etc. I think it is easier to fix solid tubes onto the engine and looks better. Rescued attachment feed pipe, both brackets in place.JPG
Rescued attachment feed pipe, both brackets in place.JPG

"just like that !"

Benzine

posted on 15/7/05 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help chaps. ditchlewis, I got my cam cover from vulcan

ditchlewis

posted on 15/7/05 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thought so Cool

after spending several grand on the engine i did not have enough left for the cover

may be my girl friend will be nice to me and buy me one for chrimbo

Ditch

Benzine

posted on 15/7/05 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
When I rang they only had 2 left and I got one so hurry

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.