Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Collector / Swirl Pot
stevebubs

posted on 28/3/05 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Collector / Swirl Pot

Anyone know where I can get a cheap fuel swirl / collector pot. Burton's 90quid is a little extreme for my taste

Cheers

S

Hellfire

posted on 28/3/05 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean like this one:

MK do them to order. Although we manufactured it up - MK welded it up, many thanks! MK ENGINEERING

bigandy

posted on 28/3/05 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,
Could you post a link/picture of the one that Burton's do? I'm on the lookout for a swirl pot for the fuel too, and I'm looking to get one specially made...

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

Hellfire

posted on 28/3/05 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Just been on the Burton Site - what a pile of sh!te the links are - they are in layers and you cant see a bloody think using Firefox... trying with Enternet Ixplorer now...

Seems alright in IE... typical!!!

stevebubs

posted on 28/3/05 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bigandy
Steve,
Could you post a link/picture of the one that Burton's do? I'm on the lookout for a swirl pot for the fuel too, and I'm looking to get one specially made...

Cheers
Andy

stevebubs

posted on 28/3/05 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't thank an in-tank one? I'm really looking for an external one which I can fit in the engine bay, using the original facet as a lift pump.

Getting so close now, the fuel system is all that's left preventing me driving the beast again.

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Do you mean like this one:

MK do them to order. Although we manufactured it up - MK welded it up, many thanks! MK ENGINEERING

stevebubs

posted on 28/3/05 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yikes...both SBD and Forge Motorsport want over a ton for theirs...!
Ben Smith

posted on 28/3/05 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Steve
From concept racing brochure

1.5 litre petrol swirl tank, rear or base mounted 100*200mm £60

01432 850685

I know how you feel still just waiting for fuel pump. Will be buying new if it doesn't arrive by wednesday!

Ben.

stevebubs

posted on 28/3/05 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ben,

You star! However, if it's +VAT then it's the same price as Burton Power's

What type of pump are you after? I've a vectra in-tank jobbie I doubt I'll be using.

Stephen

[Edited on 28/3/05 by stevebubs]

Ben Smith

posted on 28/3/05 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Steve.

Thanks for the offer but I have already bought one. It just seems to be taking for ever to arrive with the bank holidays. Rolling road only a week away so really want to do first start this week. I have a base map and have got some one coming over to do the key punching. Don't want to pay £60 per hour just for them to start it.
Don't know about VAT it doesn't say. I'd give him a call. I'm sure he would do any size you wanted but don't know about cost for one off's

Ben.

stevebubs

posted on 29/3/05 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ben,

Great Pointer - looks like a goer. £60 all in. 4 connections - 2 to rail, 2 to tank.

Cheers

Stephen

PS His new number is 01432 850889

quote:
Originally posted by Ben Smith
Steve
From concept racing brochure

1.5 litre petrol swirl tank, rear or base mounted 100*200mm £60

01432 850685

I know how you feel still just waiting for fuel pump. Will be buying new if it doesn't arrive by wednesday!

Ben.

NS Dev

posted on 29/3/05 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have made them up for about 50p quite a few times now, just not as pretty as ally ones!

I just cut the crimped on end off a truck or tractor disposable oil filter, giving a nice thin one-ended cylinder, then clean it thoroughly and weld it to a baseplate, then drill it with the appropriate holes in the right places and weld (or braze) on outlets of the right diameters.

Lick of paint and it looks smart and really is "locost"!!!

Other alternative that I have used in the absence of big oil filters is 4" diameter exhaust tubing with ends welded on each end.

The Burton swirl pot looks interesting, I think it is a "pre-disposable" oil filter housing, i.e. one with the element inside a steel housing. Take out the element and fit port reducers and hey presto, swirl pot.

Think I may use that one (need 4 outlets so will put a tee in one of the three existing ones) just need to get one from an old land rover, cheap as chips!!

Ben Smith

posted on 29/3/05 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Steve.
Pleased to help. I did go down there this morning but he wasn't there. His work is top notch. You won't be dissapointed

Will you be at stonleigh? Would be good to compare conversions. Not sure which day I'll be there. I'll be meeting up with Edd B and the Lemans 2005 group.

Ben.

NS Dev

posted on 29/3/05 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

quote:
Originally posted by bigandy
Steve,

Cheers
Andy

Mentioned this pic in my last post, but looked again and I do know what it is............it's a prefilter (water separator) from a large diesel engine, either tractor or truck!

stevebubs

posted on 30/3/05 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely aiming to be at Stoneleigh on the Sunday. If I am, the car will be parked up at the back with the other Sylvas - probably the same place you'll find Edd B, Andy W and the others. If the car is on the road, I doubt I'll have had the bonnet repaired so just look for the car with the *huge** hole in the bonnet and a zetec sticking out.

quote:
Originally posted by Ben Smith
Steve.
Pleased to help. I did go down there this morning but he wasn't there. His work is top notch. You won't be dissapointed

Will you be at stonleigh? Would be good to compare conversions. Not sure which day I'll be there. I'll be meeting up with Edd B and the Lemans 2005 group.

Ben.

ned

posted on 30/3/05 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
NS Dev,

I thought i'd seen these things once before - must have been on my mates tractor!

Any idea whether it is worth trying to source these as water seperators to save money, googling is not coming up with much. just found this on ebay though..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15263&item=4539133010&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW&tc=photo

seems to be a lot of marine stuff using them aswell..

Ned.

ps recon these would be any good?
http://www.fuelsystem.co.uk/water_separators.htm
just noticed they also sell the same swirlpot as burtons http://www.fuelsystem.co.uk/filters.htm

[Edited on 30/3/05 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 30/3/05 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'd try a truck breakers as a first port of call, doubt they sell many of them so they wouldn't want much for one.
britishtrident

posted on 30/3/05 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
It would be very easy to make a collector swirl pot out of a disposable cO2 bottle.
NS Dev

posted on 30/3/05 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know if it's big enough but a bit of union sorting and this might do, price is right!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43122&item=4537225026&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

rayward

posted on 30/3/05 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

if someone could do a reasonable drawing(with dimesions+sizes for the hose tails)I will probably be able to get them made at work, would bee in stainless though.
would be a lot cheaper than £60 i would guess.

Ray

bigandy

posted on 30/3/05 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Well if someone can provide me with some basic dimensions, I'm sure I can produce a 3D model/set of drawings. I was going to do it anyway, but if more poeple want one of a similar size, I'm more than happy to do the CAD work.

How about a Diameter and Length for starters, and also number of connections, roughly where they need to be, and preferred fitting (size and type)?

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

stevebubs

posted on 30/3/05 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Will try and knock something together for you

Stephen

[Edited on 30/3/05 by stevebubs]

rayward

posted on 30/3/05 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
just seen this on another site,

would this type of thing do??

rayward

posted on 30/3/05 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote

ned

posted on 30/3/05 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
150-180mm tall by 80mm diameter? (as measured off an evian bottle on my desk )

in from tank near top, return/overflow to tank at top, out to injection pump at bottom and return from pressure regulator near top.

For a nice stainless/ally item i would be happy to pay around £40, it is such a simple item i don't want to pay burton prices..

am i being reasonable/sensible here?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.