Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Injection Induction Tuning
Mark Allanson

posted on 2/1/05 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Injection Induction Tuning

I read somewhere that the length of the primary pipe between the air filter and the air metering device was critical to the power out put. Not confusing this with the ram pipe length which controls the torque at any specific RPMs.

Does anyone have any info?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Stu16v

posted on 2/1/05 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
I personally can't see how this would make any discernable difference Mark. What does make a difference is how close the metering device is to the engine. Too close, and the metering device can sense 'pulsing' that occurs naturally at certain rpm, which could fool the ECU into thinking there isn't as much air flowing as there actually is. Too far away, and the metering device cannot respond as quickly, and the engine gives a sluggish response.

HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

gazza285

posted on 2/1/05 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
You read bullshit. This is one modification that works with plastic fantastic Pugs, Citroen Saxos, fizogs etc.

I expect better of you Mark.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 2/1/05 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
I cannot see why either, I kept the length from the air meter to the plenum chamber the same as Uncle Henry made it, but I did chop about 6" out of the ram pipes.

I cannot remember where I read about the draw length being significant, but if you look at all the performance sites, you will see that the air filter is on the end of a VERY long tube which attaches to the air meter.

I have done the same blindly, but I needed to do it anyway to get cold air to enter the system

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/1/05 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Mark

the same cars often have blue lights in the washer jets and coloured caps on the tyre valves.

Id look for more scientific proof

I was thinking of the 'get cold air in as its more dense' theory the other day.

Do we all notice a huge improvent in power in January compared to july, when the air intake is much colder?

I dont.

atb

steve

[Edited on 2/1/05 by stephen_gusterson]

Stu16v

posted on 3/1/05 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I cannot remember where I read about the draw length being significant, but if you look at all the performance sites, you will see that the air filter is on the end of a VERY long tube which attaches to the air meter.

Mainly because in a desperate effort to actually get more power from these so-called 'performance' induction kits, they are trying to get the air filter as close as possible to a fresh supply of cold air (which is good...).

HTH Stu.

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/1/05 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
That is all I have tried to do, I will post a shot tomorrow night.

gazza, I have even fitted a Chav filter to keep up appearances!

P.S. I was going to leave this mod until after the SVA, but needed something to hang the loom from to make it all tidy

Rob Lane

posted on 3/1/05 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Steve,

Yes, you do notice the difference but only on a poorly tuned engine.

If the engine is in a poor state of tune and struggling to make power, then any small increase that improves that power shows up.

Generally we use engines that are running efficiently so we don't notice.

If you have a tuned engine built up but requiring a rolling road to setup the changed variables. You drive it a couple of times in either warm or cold and damp and you will notice the difference.

As you can gather, speaking from experience

Stu16v

posted on 3/1/05 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
As Rob says...

Also, bear in mind that most modern tintops will pull hot intake air from the exhaust (to give quicker warm up time, and [rarer nowadays] stop the carb freezing up in cold weather), and as it warms up, will change automatically to pulling in cold air. Manufacturers wouldn' go to this hassle/expense if it didn't make a difference...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/1/05 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
theres no substitute for experience

very very few car nowadays have a carb - so i wonder if icing is as much of a problem in efi cars?

The only time ive noticed a major change in power due to atmospherics was driving a fiat panda (!!!) 9,000ft up mount tiede in tenerife. The car had no power to start with, but buy the time it got that high, with the lower air density, it was next to bum all.

atb

steve

[Edited on 3/1/05 by stephen_gusterson]

Stu16v

posted on 3/1/05 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose the other thing is that it would be difficult to actually notice a change in power in an average car, between a hot day, and a cold one. At a guess, a reasonably powered car might make 4-5BHP more on a cold day, and the only time you are likely to notice that is if you are prepared to drive it flat out.

Not advisable when there is ice on the roads...

Northy

posted on 4/1/05 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Where's the pics Mark?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/1/05 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
That follows on to my next point. Ive never bought a K and N filter, but I seriously doubt they make much difference - and if you only get a 5hp ish gain.......

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by Stu16v
I suppose the other thing is that it would be difficult to actually notice a change in power in an average car, between a hot day, and a cold one. At a guess, a reasonably powered car might make 4-5BHP more on a cold day, and the only time you are likely to notice that is if you are prepared to drive it flat out.

Not advisable when there is ice on the roads...

[Edited on 4/1/05 by stephen_gusterson]

Mark Allanson

posted on 4/1/05 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Northy
Where's the pics Mark?

Here

I need another rubber 90° bend from a Rover 600 to attach the chav filter to the home made 70mm induction tube (made from 1.2mm ally sheet - glutton for punishment!) Rescued attachment Induction Route.jpg
Rescued attachment Induction Route.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 4/1/05 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Its amazing what you can do with 5 billy clips and an ally/bronze duomig! Rescued attachment Induction Route2.jpg
Rescued attachment Induction Route2.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.