Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using flexi joint to provide minor adjustment to exhaust angle?
JekRankin

posted on 15/12/11 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Using flexi joint to provide minor adjustment to exhaust angle?

Hi

With my engine in position and the output flange parallel with the diff flange, I need to correct the angle of the output on my manifold by about 4degrees to have the silencer fit inside the sill section.

Originally I was thinking I'd need to chop and weld a 2" dia bend section into the manifold, but I'm now wandering whether I could get away with a flexible exhaust joint, like one of these:

http://www.ojzengineering.co.uk/product.php?product=21

What's the consensus on this idea - a decent solution, or a bit of a bodge?

Jek

40inches

posted on 15/12/11 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Your example is for anti vibration, not misalignment. I used a Truflex section ( 2.25' 57mm TRUFLEX STAINLESS FLEXIBLE EXHAUST PIPE BEND | eBay), saved a lot of time and head scratching, not cheap though.

Description
Description

[Edited on 15-12-11 by 40inches]

JekRankin

posted on 15/12/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting, thanks for the link. Looks a little long for my application but will have a look for a smaller version. Failing that, seems like they sell suitable pre-bent lengths of stainless tube if I decide to go down the welding route.

Jek

40inches

posted on 15/12/11 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JekRankin
Interesting, thanks for the link. Looks a little long for my application but will have a look for a smaller version. Failing that, seems like they sell suitable pre-bent lengths of stainless tube if I decide to go down the welding route.

Jek

They make them up themselves, ask them to make one to your size

MikeRJ

posted on 15/12/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Just beware that flexi joints are not designed to support the weight of an exhaust in the way a solid tube could. Typically a tin top will have an exhaust hanger near a flexi joint.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.