Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: volvo 8v 2.0 turbo
Trev Borg

posted on 26/6/04 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
volvo 8v 2.0 turbo

Still haven't dicided on an engine yet, but whilst looking around came across some very cheap RWD volvos.

The 8 valve 2.0 turbo appears to give about 180 bhp and you can pick a complete car up for about £400

Has anyone fitted one, or does anyone know of any good reason reason not to fit one, or has an opinion at all regarding them.

Any input would be welcome

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

JoelP

posted on 27/6/04 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
probably the main reason against one is that not many people use that one (no one i know anyway) so if you get stuck you're on your own. this might not be a major problem if you are quite tricky at solving stuff, but maybe worth mentioning. Still, that is a healthy amount of power in a cheap donor. I would expect the engine to be very heavy though, no evidence but i wouldnt be suprised, what with volvos reputation for solid motors.

zetec

posted on 27/6/04 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure I should admit this but I've got a 2ltr turbo Volvo. They are quit powerful at 155bhp as standard and I dont see why 180bhp with boost turned up would be difficult. As said thought the engine and gearbox is good for a 250,000 miles + and therefore is very well built but heavy. As far as I know the 2.3 ltr engine is the same block and therefore might be another more powerful option. The design is very simple and even with injection would be simple to transfer from donor to locost, but where you would fit the huge intercooler is anyones guess.

My advice would be to look elsewhere for your donor engine as £400 would get you something more suited to the "7" style chassis.

leto

posted on 27/6/04 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Fore some reason Volvo 240/740-based locosts are not to uncommon on this side of the North Sea
The B230, with or without turbo, is often used and the drawbacks are the same as for the Pinto, its tall and heavy. A B230 is actually about the same weight and hight as a Pinto. The gearbox is shorter than a Typ9 and the same width all the way so you will have to make a slightly wider tunnel and use a longer prop shaft.

B230 in +2 frame
B230 in +2 frame

Test fit of a B230 in 380mm high chassis.
[The link/pic don't work, will try to fix it later.]

Happy building!

[Edited on 04-6-27 by leto]

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

Trev Borg

posted on 27/6/04 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help.

Your right about the power, its the 2.3 thats got 180 as standard.

Link to spec below

http://www.globalcar.com/datasheet/Volvo/1990Volvo940Turbo.htm

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

Volvorsport

posted on 29/9/04 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
finally found a post

regards these engines , B200FT is 155hp as stated , but could run more boost due to having thicker cylinder walls - the 230ET was 180bhp , and with a simple chip can be taken to 220 -230 hp - about £80 there quite a few knocking about now with megasquirt , so mechanical issues now have to be dealt with . The best engines are the B23e/et , or a later 90 onwards 230ft etc since they have better conrods that the first 86 on engine didnt have . picking a donor any will suffice - the 7 series has a wider tarck than the 240 , but 88 on 760 turbo will have IRS . All the ET engines had the 531 head which is the best flowing of the type - bumpsticks available from enem.se or Kgtrimming - engines will go to 7500 rpm without needing uprated valve springs .

Of course could go with a whiteblock motor of the 4/5/6 cyl FWD engines and also 960 , all ally and start at 200 hp for T4

Terrapin_racing

posted on 29/9/04 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Witht he exception of the weight issue I can only praise the motors - latest one in my tow barge has done 180,000 (I got it at 40,000) - regular oil changes and cam belts, plugs etc. - nothing more
Left a new SAAB for dead this morning on the way to work

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 29/9/04 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
ooh , you werent street racing were you

R5 turbo was my last one - oh the embarrasment !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.