Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RV8 - A route to a better soundtrack
Irony

posted on 8/7/10 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
RV8 - A route to a better soundtrack

I am building a RV8 and I am starting to think about the exhaust. I have confirmed that I can get it made locally by people who have supplied exhausts for my Viento before. But what I want to know is what extra considerations should I consider to get a better noise out of it. I know nothing really so all advice is welcome.

I am not after huge bass rumbling away but a powerful, growling, menacing noise would be good.

Any advice?

40inches

posted on 8/7/10 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
You could do a crossover system as on GT40.
BenB

posted on 8/7/10 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
V8s generally fire on an irregular pattern (ie it's not LRLRLRLR) so you'll get a burbling quality. If you fit a cross-over pipe you'll reduce this irregularity (and it can improve BHP). It'll also usually reduce dB a bit. After that it's down to the design and type of headers and silencers. Bear in mind that large manafacturers spend thousands on getting their exhausts sounding just right so don't expect any easy answers. The engine has more (IMHO) to do with the exhaust note than the exhaust.
BenB

posted on 8/7/10 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
The other thing to bear in mind is that different materials (re silencers) have different qualities due to the wall thickness and instrinsic resonances.

I personally tend to like stainless exhausts (or rather cars that I've thought had a nice exhaust note tend to have stainless cans).

nick205

posted on 8/7/10 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a replacement for the Viento or a different car?

Probably worth trying to cash in on other peoples work and see what's been done before for the engine/car combination your using.

A friend has a boat we use for wakeboarding (and fishing) fitted with an old Chevy V8 motor. In this application the exhaust system exits more or less under water when the boat's in the water.

When it's fired up on the trailer to flush out the salt water it's a straight exir with no silencing at all - LOUD, but by god it's a sweet sound

Irony

posted on 8/7/10 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Its for the Viento. A straight through would be sweet but the IVA man might object. Also would a exhaust be possible that I can alter after the IVA?

One crazy kid who I work with suggested valves on each exhaust to switch from the silenced exhausts to straight through pipes that stick straight out the botton sides of the bonnet. The ends of these pipes he suggested could be cut a a diagonal angle to look like a dragster. He even research a company in the US that can supply said valves with a remote switch for the cockpit. Costly!

[Edited on 8/7/10 by Irony]

40inches

posted on 8/7/10 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like or this. Discusion on cross over here.
Course it may be a problem fitting it in with a front engine layout

coozer

posted on 8/7/10 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
I want one that rumbles like them Cobra's and GT40's at Stoneliegh and Newark.

Is it possible with a Rover V8? How?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Irony

posted on 8/7/10 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I posted the same question on V8forum. Got this reply from Kiwicar. Cheers to him

Does it have to be road leagle?
For best sound then 4 into1 headers into a simple collector then about 10" long 2" bore pipe into a simple straight through can about 6" diamiter about 24-30" long and a short tail pipe and don't put too much packing in it. headers 1.5" into a 2" bit after the collector into a 2.25" to 2.5" for the can and tail pipe

Not for road use then as before for the headers the same to the collector then 3" of 2" bore pipe, followed by 12 inches that tapers out from 2" to 4" followed by about 4-6 inches of 3" pipe followed by 4" that tapers from 4" down to 3" stick a 3" disc over that with a 1 3/4" hole in the middle with a 2" piece of 1 3/4" diamiter pipe welded in so 1" sticks out. That will have a bark on it that you won't believe, basically the same as my Laverda cans (but scaled up a bit) I assure you you won't need to get your ears syringed ever again !
I supose you could combine the two by comming out the expanson chamber bit into a 2.5" pipe straight into the silencer from the first surgestion brobably still bark like a good un just a bit quieter.

Paul (Notts)

posted on 8/7/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
The sound your after is what Clive ( Snuggs ) has achieved on his Viento with a rover V8.

You will need a standard system with a good ( big ) silencer to get through IVA which is what you get from the original company who made the Viento exhausts.

Then fit a different silencer like Snuggs ( a boy racer one ) on each side and Hey presto…The Growl we know as Snuggs is coming.

I when one step louder with two Cherry bombs but they only lasted one trip out as they made my ear drums bleed!!!!!!

Paul

edit the above discription from the other fourum sounds like the original Viento system.

[Edited on 8/7/10 by Paul (Notts)] Rescued attachment majorca.jpg
Rescued attachment majorca.jpg

BenB

posted on 8/7/10 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Its for the Viento. A straight through would be sweet but the IVA man might object. Also would a exhaust be possible that I can alter after the IVA?

One crazy kid who I work with suggested valves on each exhaust to switch from the silenced exhausts to straight through pipes that stick straight out the botton sides of the bonnet. The ends of these pipes he suggested could be cut a a diagonal angle to look like a dragster. He even research a company in the US that can supply said valves with a remote switch for the cockpit. Costly!

[Edited on 8/7/10 by Irony]

I seem to recall CBS sell an exhaust diverter valve for this very purpose.

If you wanted to be really flash you could link it to RPM like the Aston Martin system

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.