Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Exhaust Manifold - opinions please?
adrianreeve

posted on 3/7/10 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Exhaust Manifold - opinions please?

What do we think of this Zetec exhaust manifold? Reckon it could be adapted for use in a Haynes Roadster, and if so, would it be too restrictive? Mine's a 2l silvertop with 36mm bike throttle bodies and megasquirt.

All comments welcomed, it's waaaay cheaper than a custom manifold!!!

Cheers

Adrian

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-FORD-FOCUS-2-0-16-ZETEC-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-NEW-/400086676421?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&has h=item5d270633c5

[Edited on 3/7/10 by adrianreeve]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 3/7/10 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say go for a proper tubular manifold myself. The extra cost will be the cheapest gain in additional power you'll see I recon.
cliftyhanger

posted on 3/7/10 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
It will be restrictive compared to a well designed and made 4>1 with longer primaries, but I have never seen back to back testing (in fact if anybody knows of any with real figures, same car, same RR etc etc)

However, as it seems a better design than the mondo cast manifold, and has probably had more money spent developing it than any aftermarket manifold, it is probably not bad at all for 130-150bhp. I would guess it is aimed at making the factory car economical and good to drive as opposed to max power.
For a "better" factory manifold how about a ST170 one?? that is a work of art and I doubt many aftermarket ones could match it. Just not the most convenient layout.

(good) manifold design takes rather more brainpower and research than most things on cars. I would use that manifold. Certainly over one that is just designed to "fit and looks right"

r1_pete

posted on 3/7/10 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
That would probably be too close to your bonnet when fitted.

I.M.O. all that is fit for is cutting the pipes off and using the flange for a proper exhaust.

Thats what I did on my last project: Rescued attachment Mani4.jpg
Rescued attachment Mani4.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scutter

posted on 3/7/10 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
If your not getting a custom tubular manifold, then keep an eye out for a ST170 manifold, much better than standard as said.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 3/7/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

I.M.O. all that is fit for is cutting the pipes off and using the flange for a proper exhaust.

Thats what I did on my last project:

But why is your design better (in terms of extraction and power/torque. The clearance is a different matter!)

big_wasa

posted on 3/7/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
I would only use that if on a VERY VERY tight budget.
r1_pete

posted on 3/7/10 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

Thats what I did on my last project:

But why is your design better (in terms of extraction and power/torque. The clearance is a different matter!)

Equal length headers, it fitted my install, thats all, whether it was any better in terms of performance is a complete unknown.

My main point is that type of manifold would probably take intense heat too close to the bonnet in a 7.

cliftyhanger

posted on 4/7/10 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
r1, that is fair reply.
So, has anybody got any actual comparisons? Mr Wasa, why only if on a tight budget? The ford item looks to have pretty much equal length headers, although they are not very long, but they are probably similar to the primaries in the homemade one....
Maybe one of the tuning companies has some data, will have a search....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.