Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Low Oil Pressure Problem
lsdweb

posted on 11/5/04 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Low Oil Pressure Problem

Hi All

I've just encountered an annoying problem with my Zetec. The engine has just been rebuilt and I ran it on a 'cheap' oil to flush it through etc. I changed the oil and filter over the weekend and, when I spun the engine over (thankfully with the plugs out) I had no oil pressure (I had filled the filter as much as possible.

I tried turning the engine over with no filter on and no oil escaped from the filter port! I also tried removing the oil pressure relief valve but I couldn't get the plunger out, not even when I turned the engine over! Does this indicate that the oil pump is not picking up / pumping at all. Then I tried overfilling the sump just in case the pickup tube has a hole. Still no joy.

Anybody got any ideas?

theconrodkid

posted on 11/5/04 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
did you have pressure before you changed the oil?try removing the sump and see the pick up pipe is ok,the pump is only in the front cover,might be worth taking that off

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

lsdweb

posted on 11/5/04 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Oil presure was fine before the oil change - that's why I'm a bit stumped. There's plenty of room around the front of the engine and the sump so I'll pop them both off and have a look when I get a chance. I've had to cancel my rooling road session for tomorrow and my hillclimb on Sunday - bu**er!

NS Dev

posted on 11/5/04 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
do you run an oil cooler? If so could it have siphoned out and you still be filling it?

I also very vaguely remember a problem from somewhere where a sandwich plate for cooler take off had been tightened to slightly the wrong angle and had blocked off the feed to the engine? Sounds odd to me but worth a check?

lsdweb

posted on 11/5/04 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

I did have an oil cooler fitted but I've even removed that to try it!

lsdweb

posted on 14/5/04 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I could be stupid!

Call me stupid, but I may have located the problem. My Zetec has a front mounted crank sensor (I've used a lightened CVH flywheel which can be made much lighter than the Zetec but doesn't have the crank sensor 'marks'. To mount the sensor, I had a bracket made which bolts to the oil pump via a single bolt, but the guy reckoned I should put a roll pin in to stop the bracket from turning, so I drilled a 3mm hole in the flange of the oil pump casing..............

The hole is no more than 10mm deep so shouldn't penetrate anywhere near the workngs of the oil pump surely!! It could be the most expensive hole I've ever drilled!

I've attached a photo. Rescued attachment P5140012.JPG
Rescued attachment P5140012.JPG

lsdweb

posted on 21/5/04 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Eureka

I've sorted the oil pressure problem (been a bit too busy with work / baby to look at it all week). THe oil pressure relief valve plunger didn't come out when I removed the cap / spring, so I gently tapped it with the end of an Allen key and felt it go back in 'square'.Filter back on and pressure instantly on the push of the button!

Thanks for all the tips.

Wyn

MikeRJ

posted on 23/5/04 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear you have sorted the problem, at least your hole wasn't expensive, if you'll pardon the phrase!

Interested in the arangement you are using though. Does the standard zetec clutch bolt onto the CVH flywheel? Are you using a type 9 box? A few details would be much appreciated!

lsdweb

posted on 24/5/04 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
Mike. Thanks for your reply.

I'll try and find the weight of the lightened CVH flywheel although I'm assured that it's a lot lighter than the Zetec.

I've used the CVH flywheel and clutch in its entirety (the flywheel holes need to be drilled out a tiny bit. I've also used the CVH starter and T9 box. This guaranteed that it all lined up!

The only complicated bit was mounting the timing pulley on the front pulley - if you're interested, I can post a picture?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.