Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting Oil Gauges
Davey D

posted on 12/4/10 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Fitting Oil Gauges

Im going to be fitting my Oil Pressure, and Temp gauges to my 2006 5vy R1 engine, and im wondering what is the best/easiest way to do it?

Should it get a sandwich plate, or drill/tap the sump?

imp paul

posted on 12/4/10 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
spire sports drill/tap the sump to do this job but i don't see why you could not buy a sandwich plate as you say all the best paul
turbodisplay

posted on 12/4/10 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
I think you can get sandwich plates that do both pressure and temp sensor, might make sense to do both at the same time.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 12/4/10 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Yamaha test oil presure from the oil gallery and thats where I've got mine. There's an M16 plug with (allen key) on each end of the block. Same plug each end so you can't miss them. Take your pick which one suits you best and just replace the plug with an adapter.

You can get a maual here.

http://yzf-r1forum.net/manuals/index.html

Durite do an adapter set (Pt no 0-523-98) with the right thread and I think Europa also stock something.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

will121

posted on 12/4/10 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
dont know speciffically about the R1, but you can get universal sump drain plugs with a 1/8" BSP tapping in the middle to fit a temperature sensor
lsdweb

posted on 12/4/10 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I drilled and tapped the sump for the temperature and the oil gallery blank for the pressure
Oil Pressure Fitting - 5VY

Davey D

posted on 12/4/10 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
I drilled and tapped the sump for the temperature and the oil gallery blank for the pressure

aah thats just what ive got in mind. i was planning on redrilling/tapping that hole in the sump.

im going to a durite dealer tonight on my way home for some electrical bits, so ill see if theyve got the adapters in stock.

where did you get your braided takeoff hose? are you using it to stop the vibrations from damaging the bigger sensor the pressure gauges have?

lsdweb

posted on 12/4/10 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
The braided hose and all the adaptors came from Think Auto.

The oil pressure sensor was mounted in a big rubber lined alloy clip to protect it from vibration.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.