Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY V8 headers
AdamR

posted on 23/3/10 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
DIY V8 headers

Thought I'd show a couple of pics of the headers I've been cobbling together.

I'm a bit concerned about them cracking, as other builders seem to have had problems with that happening. My headers are particularly complex, so have lots of welded joints. As I've used MIG, each weld has needed some dressing to get a smooth joint - so the wall thickness around each weld probably varies quite a lot too.

So... two questions: Where am I likely to see cracks appearing, and what can I do to strengthen the headers to prevent the cracking before it happens?

Headers2
Headers2

Headers4
Headers4

turbodisplay

posted on 23/3/10 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Between the flange and the pipes is the first port of call. It looks good what you have done, and it will ruin the looks, but you need strip to spread the load out. A few strips from the flange to 50 - 75mm along the pipe.

Darren

[Edited on 23/3/10 by turbodisplay]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 23/3/10 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
More importantly when you get it right how much would you charge me for a set? I am building a V8 and will need exhausts in the future. hehe

MK9R

posted on 23/3/10 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
How about adding a brace to the end of the header that goes back to the engine so there is no movement fighting the header? Then use somekind of flexi joint between the header and rest of the exhaust

Nice job by the way!!

[Edited on 23/3/10 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cadebytiger

posted on 23/3/10 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
that is amazing!
wilkingj

posted on 23/3/10 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
What material is it all made from?

If its ALL stainless, is it all the same grade?

Are there any Ordinary steel to Stainless welds?

Did you use the correct filler rod for the materials being welded (even for the stainless joints)?

I ask, as if you weld ordinary steel to Stainless and use the wrong filler rods, then you get embrittlement, as it makes it very hard, and will then crack with the stress (ie getting hot and cold as its an exhaust).

I am no expert, but I know this is the case for dissimilar metal welding, especially stainless and ordinary steel.
(I was thinking of the flanges, as they look like ordinary steel)

I would ask 907, as he is the expert on these matters.

Other than that it looks good.. a nice job.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

AdamR

posted on 23/3/10 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the positive feedback! The headers certainly took a lot of effort to create, which is why I don't want them to break after a few hundred miles of action.

Re material, the tube is 304 stainless, the flanges are mild steel, recycled from an old set of headers. All welded with stainless wire - I think 308 grade, though not 100% sure as it doesn't say on the pack.

Flange->pipe joints can be improved as per turbodisplay's suggestion. Anything else?

The idea of bracing the end of the header is interesting but might be a bit difficult to engineer.

[Edited on 23/3/10 by AdamR]

FASTdan

posted on 23/3/10 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thats really well done - especially considering your using a MIG.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Canada EH!

posted on 23/3/10 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
You could put some spot welds were the pipes cross each other, will tend to keep the flanges supported, might not look pretty though.
robinj66

posted on 23/3/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Extremely well done - they look superb

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.