Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: carb options??
boggle

posted on 18/3/10 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
carb options??

after selling my 48 dcoe and finding that 45's are stupid money im looking at bike carbs....

is this worth doing??

if i went for the ZX9R B1 carbs such as the other chap on here what do i need to do in order to fit them???

do they need extra wiring??? and how do you jet them???

i have found a set on ebay for £99....

realisticly is there much to do apart from make a manifold???

cheers

barry

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

blakep82

posted on 18/3/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
no wiring, you really just need to make a manifold. presumably, if you had 48's, you've already got ignition sorted.

so just the manifold

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jacko

posted on 18/3/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
What Engine? Pinto ?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
boggle

posted on 18/3/10 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
yes...sorry its a pinto...

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

boggle

posted on 18/3/10 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
carbs i found are here

carbs

they have a tps....would i just dissregard that??

u2u me for details

tomprescott

posted on 18/3/10 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
At some point I'll have a twin pair of 40 idf's for sale - downdraught webers, be something a bit different and would look ace with trumpets. Really need to have a garage clearout soon!

P.s. sorry for the hi jack

A bird in the hand....

RichardK

posted on 18/3/10 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Piece of wee for a man of you caliber, you may need someone to make you a flange though

To jet them just get a few drill bits ranging from 1.55 up to 1.75, I can lend you mine if you struggle, mine was 1.65 and was fine on the Rolling Road, it'll certainly be driveable with those jets.

Pictures in my archive if you want to see mine.

Either have them long like mine so you don't have to respace the carbs or shorten the tubes and respace the carbs to suit. Its as difficult as you want to make them. Get ones with a tps sensor on preferably if you plan on getting a megajolt for ignition at some point.

Any carbs over 600cc will do, mine where honda hornet 600.

Cheers

Rich

PS mine where the same as these Linky Thingy

[Edited on 18/3/10 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
boggle

posted on 18/3/10 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
that simple????

ok...i will buy the ones with the tps...im thinking all i need is some silicone hose to connect them to the manifold??

i have a low preasure facet pump...will that do??

is there a fuel return on these carbs??

cheers

barry

u2u me for details

RichardK

posted on 18/3/10 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Try and get the rubbers that come with the carbs if you can, they are alot stiffer and are obviously fuel resistance. If you do use silicone hose then only have a very small gap between the tubes and the carbs as there is vacuum pulses in there and I've heard of this squeezing action making the hoses come loose and carbs falling off, not what you want spraying fuel over a hot engine! I have braced my carbs too, again picies in my gallery. I also put tapped holes in the tubes so I could balance them accuratly too. Cant think of anything else mate but drop me a u2u if I can help further and want to borrow those drills.

No fuel return required on carbs but I put one in whilst I was building just in case I want to go injection ever in the future, just easier to do at the build stage. Just blanked it off.

Get a bike fuel pump pref off same bike but I heard that they are all the same anyway.Fu el Pump Linky

Also get a inertia switch to put in the fuel pump circuit that will cut off the power to fuel pump in the event of a bump.

I'll try and find the ebay link to the switch I bought. This is the same one as I bought but a little dearer, I think I paid about a fiver about 3 years ago. Linky

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 18/3/10 by RichardK]

boggle

posted on 18/3/10 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
thanks mate....

going with the ninja carbs...

what angle do i need to mount them at?

u2u me for details

RichardK

posted on 18/3/10 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't matter in my opinion, I've wheelied bikes for a fair distance before without fuel starvation problems

Saying that I did keep the float bowls level on mine.

Cheers

R

blakep82

posted on 19/3/10 at 01:26 AM Reply With Quote
if you look on the bogg brothers site, they've got at BMW V12 with bike carbs, and they're mounted like downdraught carbs, so i'm not sure the float angle is really critical. the cokes are completely horizontal on mine not ideal, but its the only way it could be done!

actually, there's a slight angle in this photo...

but they don't seem to sit like that now, which is strange...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

boggle

posted on 19/3/10 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
what carbs are they blake???

u2u me for details

MakeEverything

posted on 19/3/10 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
You have U2U

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

boggle

posted on 19/3/10 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
replied.....

do i have to make the manifold to suit, or can i space the carbs??

u2u me for details

MikeRJ

posted on 19/3/10 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boggle
they have a tps....would i just dissregard that??

The TPS is very useful if you want to ditch the clockwork ignition and go for a mapped system such as Megajolt.

RichardK

posted on 19/3/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Either way mate, doesn't matter. However you can keep them closer to the engine if you respace them, just a bit of a fiddle to machine the spacers with o rings etc.

Cheers

R

boggle

posted on 19/3/10 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
ok....carbs are bought.....off off a ninja...

i have cut my manifold and got some tube...

when they turn up i can do some fabricating....

i need a vacuum outlet for my dizzy...should i take 4 outlets and fix to a small manifold block or will any one do??

i will go with the megajolt at a later date...

what bits do i need to start collecting for this??

thanks for all your help peeps.....

u2u me for details

jacko

posted on 19/3/10 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
This is mine have a look in my photo archives under zx9r carbs and manifold
Jacko
carbs on manifold
carbs on manifold

Rob Allison

posted on 19/3/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Been fab'ing up my pinto bike carbs. Should have done this years ago. Next on my list it to do my 24v cosworth v6.

RichardK

posted on 22/3/10 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boggle

i need a vacuum outlet for my dizzy...should i take 4 outlets and fix to a small manifold block or will any one do??

I believe its common to just block the vacuum off and have the advance fixed.

If you did want the advance I think it would be better to have all four going into a box with 1 then going to dizzy, not sure if 1 would have enough suck!

Cheers

Rich

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.