Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are all Freelander diffs the same ratio??
FFTS

posted on 9/3/10 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Are all Freelander diffs the same ratio??

Just asked what ratio one is on ebay and just got a reply saying they are ALL the same. Is this truth speak?

Chris.

blakep82

posted on 9/3/10 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
qui ck search of google can only find mention of 3.21 for the ratio. can't find any other gearing mentioned

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

FFTS

posted on 9/3/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
qui ck search of google can only find mention of 3.21 for the ratio. can't find any other gearing mentioned

Lovely and if I'm not mistaken, this is a good ratio for BEC's?

Does it directly replace a Sierra diff or are other bits needed?

Chris.

blakep82

posted on 9/3/10 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
a proper engine is the only proper cure

stole this

quote:

I also want to ask Martin about differentials. The Fury chassis can have either the Sierra or Freelander diffs fitted. There's loads of issues about this choice:

The Freelander diff is somewhat lighter than the Sierra one.
The ratio of the Freelander diff is ideal for bike-engined cars, not (quite) so for the Sierra diffs.
Neither of the diffs is available as standard with an LSD, at least in the desirable ratio.
Both diffs can have a Quaife ATB LSD fitted, but at a cost of about £500.

http://www.hoverd.org/Tim/Fury/prebuild-body-0312a.html

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

James

posted on 9/3/10 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FFTS
quote:

Do you mean can you just unbolt Sierra and bolt in Freelander?

They have very different mounts, will need different uprights, wishbones etc. etc.

Might be able to cut and shut drive shaft I spose.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

fesycresy

posted on 9/3/10 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Depends what BEC.

Westfield stopped using them because of the failure rate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

FFTS

posted on 9/3/10 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9R C1

or would this be a direct replacement without the new uprights etc?

Ebay Clicky

[Edited on 9/3/10 by FFTS]

Chris.

Humbug

posted on 9/3/10 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
ZX9R C1

or would this be a direct replacement without the new uprights etc?

Ebay Clicky

[Edited on 9/3/10 by FFTS]

3.1 diff? I haven't heard of that one. Probs 3.14?

[Edited on 09.03.2010 by Humbug]

locogeoff

posted on 9/3/10 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that freelanders where altered at some early point in the production run with a different rear diff to sort out some of the problems with the VCU and IRD, however I cannot check the details until I have a look at the Microcat tonight.
Richard Quinn

posted on 9/3/10 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Swapping to Freelander from Sierra would be quite a job. If that is a 3.14 on ebay then it could be a good option, depending on what you are after. It'll give you a theoretical higher top end and revs will be lower at motorway speed etc but you will lose out some on acceleration.
fesycresy

posted on 9/3/10 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I would have kept that link quiet if I were you

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

MK9R

posted on 9/3/10 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Freelander diff ratios are the same for what ever year and what ever engine (L series diesel, petrol, v6, TD4). In 1999/2000 they uprated the main diff carrier bearings to make them stronger to try and solve the transmission problems, this did naff all as the problems were with the VCU. The earlier diffs are just as good as the later ones, especially in our little lightweight cars. They are probably 1/2 the weight of the sierra aswell. Onl;y issue is that if you want LSD you will have to get the hugely expensive quaife internals for the freelander as they never made any LSD ones from the factory

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Brommers

posted on 9/3/10 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, all Freelander diffs are 3.21 unless they've been fitted with the custom CWP available from Westfield which gives them a 4.4 ratio.

They're lighter than Sierra diffs but are not a direct bolt-in replacement, although if you get cut'n'shut or custom driveshafts made up then there's no reason why you should need to change the uprights, hubs or bearings.

You can adapt a Sierra-diff'd car to a Freelander diff by using adaptor plates (that's what Westfield certainly used to do) but that's just nasty...

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 9/3/10 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Gearboxman.com IIRC will take any 7 inch sierra diff, and change the ratio to what you want, and can also make it LSD but of the viscous type I think.
I have a brand new freelander diff and a brand new ATB unit to fit to it in my loft. Somewhere there is a for sale ad on this website if youre interested.
I chose the freelander and ATB on Andy Bates recommendation. It seems the ATB type LSD is suitable for BECs. They are plenty strong enough as mine was for a busa turbo. It is the later sort.
I also know that the jag powerloc type LSD needs to be set for the weight of the vehicle so don't work properly on Cobras. Whether this applies to any other makes of diff I don't know!
When I was looking into it I got overwealmed by all the types and arguments, so just asked Andy!
When I looked at fitting it to my Striker and ditching the sierra diff, it was so different that I decided it was too much work/expense to swop. Ideally the chassis should be built to siut.
Good luck!
Ed
ps er yes they are the same ratio! Sorry!

FFTS

posted on 9/3/10 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug

3.1 diff? I haven't heard of that one. Probs 3.14?

[Edited on 09.03.2010 by Humbug]

Hmmm the plot thickens. Just googled sierra 3.1 diff and get a page of wanted ads 2 of which are asking for 3.1 diffs....

So is there such a thing????

Chris.

bob tatt

posted on 9/3/10 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
no such thing as a 3.1
3.14 yes fitted to the weasels

jacko

posted on 9/3/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
does this help
Jacko

no2
no2

No1 and as far as a know are correct
No1 and as far as a know are correct

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locogeoff

posted on 10/3/10 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locogeoff
I was under the impression that freelanders where altered at some early point in the production run with a different rear diff to sort out some of the problems with the VCU and IRD, however I cannot check the details until I have a look at the Microcat tonight.

Just checked, and there is only one part number lited for freelander diffs so I would agree with others in saying they are all the same.

procomp

posted on 10/3/10 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

The freelander diffs are made 1 mile down the road from me by GKN. When you see the material and the build you certainly realise why they are only just fit for a BEC car and certainly wont take the abuse of a CEC car. And as mentioned you need to get a later one with the extra modifications made to them. No idea as to when exactly the switch over date was though.
If buying of Ebay be careful that you are not buying a scrap one. Have a very good close inspection before parting with money.

Cheers Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.