Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: flexible silicone hoses
blakep82

posted on 6/3/10 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
flexible silicone hoses

can something like this be suitable for all the plumbing? i've got a few awkward routs hoses need to take. can the flexible stuff be cut to length easy/safe enough?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

r1_pete

posted on 6/3/10 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Should be OK, I was surprised how heavy it is....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 6/3/10 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
cool seen silicone hose world on ebay sell it as silicone ducting.

thing is, if i was to do it out of all the various bends and stuff you can buy, i'd need about 5 or 6 different bends + all the joiners, just for the bottom hose. looking around £100 just for that. 1 length of flexible stuff should do all that (hopefully...)

does it flex easy enough? straight out the block i got an almost 180 degree bend you see

[Edited on 6/3/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

big_wasa

posted on 6/3/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
I dont like it. ok for gentle curves but it still tends to collaps a bit on the s bend I wanted.
blakep82

posted on 6/3/10 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
how much can it bend?

this should give an idea as to what i need

Description
Description

Description
Description

i've tried to draw it showing the rough route, and what it goes under and over. the light blue bit is to show its behind the carbs, obviously

Benzine

posted on 6/3/10 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
blake is a fantastic man

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 6/3/10 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
blake is a fantastic man

generous, and also slightly confusing you on the drink mate? lol

Benzine

posted on 6/3/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
hehe, nah just one pint of home made beer. I was just posting for the lulz. Currently posting from the Bedford

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

blakep82

posted on 6/3/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
nice the bedford's awesome, so so are you for building it

hicost blade

posted on 7/3/10 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
You are not going to be able to flex the wire wound silicone that much....

and I think it will foul the suspension

I think a better way is as follows:

Using 2 90's, 1 135 and about 400mm of ali tube

hicost blade

posted on 7/3/10 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
oooooooooorrrrrrrr!!!

Spencer Ashley sells this stuff off the roll with the silicone ends and its cheap as chips, apparently it is used in nuclear power stations......so its good quality and strong (hopefully ) and glows in the dark!!!!

http://www.spencerashley.co.uk/

02GF74

posted on 7/3/10 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
the ribbed hose stuff is not ideal for good water flow due to non smooth sides.

you almost certainly will need to make up the hoses from shorter angled lengths and jiners unless you know of a car tht has the same or very similar shaped and diameter hose which is unlikely.

with the straight hose, solde per m, tjhere is a type which as a steel spiral wire along the insdie that is supposed to stop collapsing but stil has a limit to how tight the curves can be made.

blakep82

posted on 7/3/10 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
interesting, interesting....

the first idea of the 2 90's, ali tube, and the 135 bend, i had thought that, but think i may end up with an air lock? at the top of the higher 90 degree bend?

also, what the photos don't show (as i didn't fit it for the photo) wa sthat the alternator isn't on, and means the ali tube passes right through the middle of it, unfortunately so a bit of a non starter

the other stuff looks interesting, not sure if it would bend the 135 degrees needed though?

hicost blade

posted on 7/3/10 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
Have a word with Spence about it, hes dead keen on it and I'm sure if you ask nicely he will send you a sample
blakep82

posted on 7/3/10 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
the ribbed hose stuff is not ideal for good water flow due to non smooth sides.

you almost certainly will need to make up the hoses from shorter angled lengths and jiners unless you know of a car tht has the same or very similar shaped and diameter hose which is unlikely.

with the straight hose, solde per m, tjhere is a type which as a steel spiral wire along the insdie that is supposed to stop collapsing but stil has a limit to how tight the curves can be made.

the 'superflex' stuff, i think, has the wire reinforcement between the plys, and if the superflex hose is made by venair, the venair site says inside ply is smooth

i've emailed the ebay seller if the hose bends as tight as the 135 degree bends and i'm waiting to hear back

but you're right, i've seen the rubber ones and they are terrible!

big_wasa

posted on 7/3/10 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Yes it's smooth inside.

No it wont bend 130 deg in the radias shown in the pic.

what bore size do you need ?

big_wasa

posted on 7/3/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=DSCF0594.JPG

It wouldnt work for the bottom S bend so replaced with bends and joiners.

02GF74

posted on 7/3/10 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

the 'superflex' stuff, i think, has the wire reinforcement between the plys, and if the superflex hose is made by venair, the venair site says inside ply is smooth

I have an assortment of red silicone hose shapes/lengths from that chap on ebay.

one of the pieces, 25 mm ID straight just looks like the normal straight stuff - smooth outside and in - but has wire spiral - figured that out after spending 3 hours trying to cut it with a knife LOL

strangely enough, I went and bought another metre of the same size hose but this length does not have the wire.

I suppose if I was that interested, I could try to see how tightly each can be bent before significant defoprmation occurs.

MikeRJ

posted on 7/3/10 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
i've emailed the ebay seller if the hose bends as tight as the 135 degree bends and i'm waiting to hear back

The angle isn't the problem, you need to specify the bend radius.

135 degree bends are readily available in silicone however, so a combination of alloy straight sections and silicone bends is probably the simplest solution.

blakep82

posted on 7/3/10 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

The angle isn't the problem, you need to specify the bend radius.

135 degree bends are readily available in silicone however, so a combination of alloy straight sections and silicone bends is probably the simplest solution.

well, i don't think it would be the simplest. surely 1 pipe that does the lot is easier than 5 different pipes and their joiners, which again adds up to over £100. £100 for 1 hose!

02GF74, could you have a test of that reinforced hose for me please? just to see how tight it can bend? that would be awesome thanks

MikeRJ

posted on 7/3/10 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
well, i don't think it would be the simplest. surely 1 pipe that does the lot is easier than 5 different pipes and their joiners, which again adds up to over £100. £100 for 1 hose!

Surely it won't take 5 hoses to do that? Depending on the diameter you may be able to bend a length of alloy pipe to fit most of the length, with the added advantage that it will be self supporting. A long length of silicone hose will need to be supported to prevent it flapping around.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.