Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hard mount a rotary
derf

posted on 12/4/04 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
Hard mount a rotary

Ok guys, still working on the locost, got the engine and tranny to ti yesterday. I am starting to think about how to mount the engine. I found a thread on teamslow.org, the guy made the engine mounts hard, no rubber. Not sure how much I like that, gonna be alot of stress on the chassis, plus vibration. I'm not sure how that will work out with the 13b (rotary). I also found some guy up in calgary who has one, he used the stock mounts, but mounted the engine higher. Looking for opinions.

http://teamslow.aitchison.org/viewtopic.php?t=2285&highlight=locost

http://mail.softarc.com/~pasdernick/locost/June2000.html

thekafer

posted on 12/4/04 at 02:40 AM Reply With Quote
The 13b is an excellent choice,but they're not exactly oozing the kind of torque that would justify hard mounting.We Americans are programmed to think 500ft/lbs and drag racing. Although rotaries are turbine smooth,I think it would still make for a very numb backside....

Just a thought, Fletch.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

derf

posted on 12/4/04 at 03:13 AM Reply With Quote
The problem though, if you read through the team slow posts it sthat the engine mount is on the underside of the oil pan, and that side of the block is dominated by intake and exaust stuff, makes for some hard choices. I dont really wanna hard mount it, but from the looks of it, I dont really see too many options.
pbura

posted on 12/4/04 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not to the point of being concerned about this yet, but a couple of guys have used Jaguar XK motor mounts (picture below). For the right side, the arm to the underside of the engine would presumably attach to this. Hope this rings a bell.

Here's a link to a post and pictures describing how a builder used a 1st gen front cover and oil pan to mount his 13B. I can't see any shock isolation, but maybe this will spark some ideas.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Locost_North_America/message/8367

Use of a normal oil pan also makes me wonder about possibilities for shortening it.

XK motor mounts:

[Edited on 12/4/04 by pbura] Rescued attachment motor-mount.jpg
Rescued attachment motor-mount.jpg

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.