Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: winter project #1 - bike carbs
55ant

posted on 17/11/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
winter project #1 - bike carbs

as above i am starting the first of my winter modifications with the bits and bobs i have accumulated over the last few months, when its been nice enough weather to work on the car i end up driving it! which is good i guess, anyway its now all tucked away in a garage and i have a set of bike carbs to replace my 38 dgas carb, im pretty sure i have everything i need, bike carbs, bike fuel pump, manifold, rubbers, h&h solutions dizzy and new coil. all i will be ordering should be the hoses/conectors. its a 2.1 pinto engine and fast road cam, and a set of fireblade carbs jetted for a 2.1 with fast road cam and big valve head. is this ok.

so, first few questions,

firstly the pinto i think runs 8mm fuel lines, and the bike carbs run 10mm. so do i need to change all the fuel lines to 10mm or will the fuel just speed up in the 8mm bits and be ok in the 10mm parts?

also the fuel pump is a gravity feed, so below the tank obviously, the take off from the tank is at the top, is this going to be a problem? also any pictures of fuel pump mountings would be great, and any setup pics too.

plenty of questions to come im sure,

cheers for any help

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

whitestu

posted on 17/11/09 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Bike carb pumps aren't too fussy where they go as long as there are no air leaks at the pipe joints, though below the tank is best [I've had mine in the engine bay as well and it worked fine].

I shouldn't have thought having the take off at the top of the tank would be a problem as there must be an internal pipe going to the bottom of the tank.

The fuel hose will probably expand to 10mm, depending on what type it is - warm it up to make this easier.

You are welcome to come and look at my bike carb setup [on a Zetec]. By the look of it we live fairly close together.

Stu

jacko

posted on 17/11/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel pump is it a bike pump ? if yes thats what i have and the tank outlet is at the top all works great
the 8mm fuel pipe is ok to i used 8mm copper and got a gas pipe fitting to put the 10mm rubber pipe on

If i can help just ask
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
55ant

posted on 17/11/09 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for the help guys, right ive just been out and taken of the dowdraught carb and manifold, didnt get to much coolant on me!

removed fuel lines down to copper pipe, removed pinto fuel pump.

ok i meassured the copper pipe and its nearer to 6mm, then into 8mm tube, should i just get an adapter to 10mm, there is an adapter on the carbs from 8mm up to 10mm. hmm.

anyway all seems good, for the time being. anyone point me in the right direction for how to remove the coil and dizzy.

and also a good place for braided fuel, air and water hose, isnt there someone on here who supplies them? also may aswell put an oil catch can in.

thanks all, and any advice on the fuel line diameters would help.

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

jacko

posted on 17/11/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
To remove the old dizzy first turn the engine to TDC on number 1 cylinder and line all timing marks up
then use a 8mm spanner and remove the dizzy clamp
Then slowly pull the dizzy out [ be careful of the oil pump drive some have clips on them ]
IF its a H&H dizzy you have remove the old coil you should have a new one from H&H
H and H dizzy and coil
H and H dizzy and coil

[Edited on 17/11/09 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.