Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sigh! think my diff is really broke
Moorron

posted on 18/8/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
sigh! think my diff is really broke

Hi lads ive now took my diff (3.62 7" lsd) out of my indy to have a look at my noisy problem. ive3 took the back plate off and all my play seems to be in the inner gears not the main output bearing. im assuming the spider gears cant be rebuilt? or am i just seeing a common wear pattern in these diffs.

also what makes the diff a LSD? it looks just like a normal diff to me. so can any one suggest a fix to this and is the quiffe (yeh im drunk and cant spell it) part a complete replacement and worth it?

[Edited on 18/8/09 by Moorron]

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

nick205

posted on 18/8/09 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know much about diffs me, but I don't think a quiff is going to be much help to you....

nstrug

posted on 18/8/09 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't sound like an LSD to me. Can you post a photo?

If it has spider gears, I'm sure it's just an open diff.

If you convert to the Quaife ATB diff, you will just need to keep the crown wheel and pinion, everything else is replaced.

Nick

mark chandler

posted on 18/8/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
The planet gears are shimmed, the LSD is a pack that sits on the back part of the crown wheel, basically it locks the halfshaft output to the crown wheel
Moorron

posted on 18/8/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
lol theres a guy at work with that look.

ok, i am going to look for a pic of one so i can see if its the same. i can see the spider gears but the crown wheel is bolted to some large complex item. its an lsd as when jacked up and turning one wheel by hand the other side moves in the same direction. hope this is right

if i do have play in the spider gears can i take it to a transmition place to rework? is it work it?

looking for pic............

blakep82

posted on 18/8/09 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
open diff looks like this

lsd will be something like this

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Moorron

posted on 18/8/09 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
mmm mine looks more like the first pic to me. i can see play in the pider gear and the shaft it sits on as i can see oil move under it when i turn one of the output shafts. can i reshim this or is the shaft a pain to remove?

also the side gear on the oposite side to the crown wheel seems to have sideward play but im unsure if this is bearing related as the actual diff seems solid.

i was told the running gear was from a cossie as i have rear discs.

The diff has been taken apart before i think, the drain plug was truly rounded off too.

i ordered the rebuild kit this morning too! grrrr

blakep82

posted on 18/8/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
i'd get a transmission type place to do it. getting the side gears (spider gears) out is a complete disassembly job. crown wheel and everything. setting up is too.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Moorron

posted on 18/8/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
damn it. ive just got the tag out the garage and im confused as i cant tie it up to the sticky diff code thread. my tag reads

V85BB AA 362
4A 6K 29

erm....

mark chandler

posted on 18/8/09 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a typical LSD, Sierra is as I described, standard planet gears but gubbins is behind the crown wheel.

If you lock the half shaft on one side then the planet gears affectively jammed so the other side spins in the same direction, it senses the difference between the crown wheel spinning and the half shaft turning, go in a straight line and both are constant, turn a bend a little slippage which it locks when this becomes extreme.

[Edited on 18/8/09 by mark chandler]Image deleted by owner

Dusty

posted on 18/8/09 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Pic of a sierra viscous LSD. The bit to the left of the crown wheel is the LS bit, the twirly gears are the D!

[Edited on 18/8/09 by Dusty] Rescued attachment 0.JPG
Rescued attachment 0.JPG

blakep82

posted on 18/8/09 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
ah, sorry yeah, i searched for 'sierra lsd' on google images and thats the first thing that came up.
the pic i posted must be an aftermarket lsd rather than a factory fit one

i don't really understand the diff code you have though

Moorron

posted on 19/8/09 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
thanks dusty, mine is an lsd then.

is there any play in your spider gears or are they supposed to be tightly meshed? mine have play and feel notchy when rocking them a few degrees. just wondering if i should give up with this or try anf fix it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.