Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1.8 cvh
mrwibble

posted on 15/8/09 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
1.8 cvh

having just handed over th cash for my donor car. its got a 1.8cvh which tbh runs smoother at 81k from cold, to my 40k zetec in my focus :/ what sort of power is thing outputting, and is it worth concidering as a powerplant for my fury?
big_wasa

posted on 15/8/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
~89bhp is your lot and the carb holds it back.

You wont save much using it but it will slash resale value of the finished fury.

[Edited on 15/8/09 by big_wasa]

mookaloid

posted on 15/8/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
if you are not bothered about going fast or anything then use it - other wise find something better.

A fury certainly deserves better

cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

austin man

posted on 15/8/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
the 1.8 ws nearly as bad as the 2 litre dohc, Keep the starter motor, sump and the alternator then fit a zetec, the starter, sump and alternator can all be used130 bhp with a zetec

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

AdrianH

posted on 15/8/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just my opinion on this. The 1.8 CVH produced the same BHP as the 1.8 Pinto in the Sierra, just a little lower down in revs and a little bit lighter engine. For some reason the Westfield site lists the CVH as having 103 BHP?

The exhaust and carbs are on the same side as Zetec, so give an update route later for if funds are tight during the build now.

I am using the donor CVH, for a few reasons, it works well, came with the donor and is setting the rules for future registration, emissions tests etc. Once the IVA is done and when the engine gives up I will go down the Zetec route.

Using the existing ESC-Hybrid module with its carbs also means you can use the engine without buying Megajolt.

If your donor was a pre 92 Sierra, it may be something to consider.

Adrian

[Edited on 16-8-09 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

whitestu

posted on 16/8/09 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Depends what you are after. I originally had a stock 1.8CVH in my Indy. I then swapped to a 1.8 Zetec on bike carbs.

I can't honestly say there was all that much difference. The CVH ran really well and was smooth and quiet. The Zetec had a bit more power top end and when really flooring it.

The Zetec is based on the CVH bottom end so both are similarly strong.

1.8 CVH engines can be turbo'd to good effect.

Stu

Surrey Dave

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Not Bad

These motors are much more useful than the comments on this site would have you believe.

I have megajolt ignition ,bike carbs, a bit of porting and 1mm off the head face.

They are easy to upgrade to Zetec later on. Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 1 sml.jpg
Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 1 sml.jpg

AdrianH

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Dave;

Have you had the car on a rolling road or managed to achieve any figures for output power, interested to know what you can do.

I have read of very good figures sticking the 1.6 Head on with some porting work!

Adrian

Surrey Dave

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
1.6 head

You need to change the pistons to fit the 1.6 head so it gets a bit expensive.

No rolling road unfortunately , did a track day with a lot of Elises and it was not embarrassing.

I've had a Zetec 2.0 waiting in my garage for 2+ years waiting for the swap , but everytime I go out I'm pleased with what I've got.

Smoother and more refined than Pinto in my opinion.

BUT I COULD DO WITH A NEW CAM TENSIONER IF ANY ONE HAS A SPARE

AdrianH

posted on 16/8/09 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently you can change the bearing, just need a new washer for the end as well.

Or try Andrew Page Motor factors I got one for £26

Adrian

[Edited on 16-8-09 by AdrianH]

mrwibble

posted on 16/8/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
These motors are much more useful than the comments on this site would have you believe.

I have megajolt ignition ,bike carbs, a bit of porting and 1mm off the head face.

They are easy to upgrade to Zetec later on.

thanks for the advice all. would the engine mounts be the same and :. be an easy swap later on?

Surrey Dave

posted on 16/8/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe

I think one side is a direct swap, if not its not a big deal to make or buy some Zetec mounts.
Jenko

posted on 17/8/09 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think the CVH is a great engine (although I am biased).....The 1.8 and 1.6 are slightly different, and everyone says go for the 1.6, but I think the 1.8's were rarer, so not as much tuning work went into them....

The main problem is camshaft wear, and when you see how oil is distributed to the cam lobes you can understand why old oil can wear the cam in no time.....

As for a comparission to zetecs....

I have 2 ltr ferriday block, which is based on the 1900 american tall block (similar to 1.6)..........a ported1.6 head running solid lifters and a 290 duration cam...runs on throttle bodies.....

Anyway, check out the torque....you won't see that on a zetec :-) - P.s. it is n/a and NOT turbo.....Pulls like a train from 3000rpm -6000rpm...

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.