Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil cooler plumbing question
speedyxjs

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Oil cooler plumbing question

To remove my oil cooler i had to cut through the hoses as the unions are badly stuck on.

I have now reached the point where i need to fit the oil cooler but am unsure how to rejoin the hoses. They are 16mm id. Anyone got any idea's?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

MautoK

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Are they the braided/multilayer type?
By 'badly stuck on' do you mean tight or kluged?
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

speedyxjs

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MautoK
Are they the braided/multilayer type?
By 'badly stuck on' do you mean tight or kluged?
John.

Not sure what you mean by kluged but they wouldnt move after fitting the wrench and jumping on it (after a week of wd40ing it)

They are rubber with thread inside. I think that means they are braided?

[Edited on 11-8-09 by speedyxjs]

MautoK

posted on 11/8/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Kluge = bodge

I've just fitted a cooler to my autobox. It's pre-owned and came with approx 24" long braided 1/2" ID hoses but unfortunately they were too short to reach the front of the car. Whereas I could have extended them I started from scratch, getting new fittings, steel tube and oil-tolerant rubber hose. The autobox cooler loop is quite low pressure so it all seems OK.
Does your hose have crimped or manufactured ends? You might be able to salvage the end fitting and fit the cut hose onto it, but not sure about the integrity of the resulting joint.
It all depends on the pressure in your cooler loop, but I think you'd need swaged or barbed fittings and something better than Jubilee clips.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

speedyxjs

posted on 11/8/09 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Its crimped

02GF74

posted on 11/8/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I don't understand what you are saying.

Most OEM coolers have hoses swaged onto the oil cooler e.g. MGB - they are not removable, and if you succeed, chances are you won't be able to reconnect unless you can clamp a hose onto the pipe.

after meerkat one will have bolt on fittings - these are removable.

speedyxjs

posted on 11/8/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
This is a pic of another cooler i have. Its the same one but the one i am using has two metal pipes attached with hoses attached to those pipes (crimped i think).

The nuts at the bottom of the cooler will not turn at all so i need to join the pipes on the cooler i am using onto the pipes already on the engine. Rescued attachment DSC00240.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC00240.JPG

twybrow

posted on 11/8/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have extended my oil cooler lines, which were prebent steel tube, and braided lines. I have cut through the steel tube with a pipe cutter, and extended it with compression fittings and some aluminium tube. It seems to be working sweet as at the mo!
02GF74

posted on 12/8/09 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have to admit thems does look like nuts - you can definitely see some thrread or a join so they are not crimped?

If you are feeling brave, hacksaw or grind a slot in the nut to weaken it in the hope that the fitting is standard thread, most liekly 1/2 BSP and then get new fittings - in steel they won't be too £££, maybe a fiver.

You have tired heating the nut ? and have water in the cooler, then tip the cooler so the inside of the nut is cold whereas the outside to hot and try to undo?

DO not apply too much force if you cannot gain a hold on the cooler outlet or else you'll damage the cooler.

I see hex part between the cooler and nut- can you grip that? Needs a thin spanner or make one from thick steel?

I'd chance it and cut one nut off.

[Edited on 12/8/09 by 02GF74]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.