Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Polo Radiator Fitting Question
edspurrier

posted on 6/7/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Polo Radiator Fitting Question

Almot fitted the Polo rad. PLanned to fix with screws in to the four screw holes on the back. Discovered there's a crack at the bottom of one of the screw lugs - the one opposite the top hose. It hasn't got a screw the other side.

It looks like I can't drill all the way through without punching through waterways - is this correct? Or has anybody tried drilling front to back on those holes without problems?

thanks
Ed

omega0684

posted on 6/7/09 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
just mount it on the three lugs it will be fine, polo rads have two small mounting poles on the bottom, i used a bit of right angle metal to create a ledge, drilled two holes in it and rested the rad on it. only mounted on the top two mounts.

[Edited on 6/7/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 6/7/09 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
That's bad luck! Is it a new rad? Considering how heavy a radiator full of coolant is I'm not sure I'd personally want to rely on 3 threads holding it in place (particularly if one broke quite easily!!)....
bob

posted on 6/7/09 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
How bad is the crack in the fixing point ?

would it be possible to araldite a piece of M5 threaded bar in, i am sure i used M5 thead set screws to hold mine anyway.

Once piped up and sitting the rad on a ledge i made using the two lugs on the bottom of the rad it was pretty firm, i'm sure you could glue a thread in the top point. Rescued attachment rad 005.jpg
Rescued attachment rad 005.jpg

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/7/09 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'd simply apply epoxy glue to the screw thread when you fit it, it won't crack further or fall out. Yeah you can't drill through to the other side without puncturing the radiator.

[Edited on 6/7/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
edspurrier

posted on 6/7/09 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. I'll give iot a bash with the Araldite....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.