Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tintop problem - VW Golf Mk4 1.4
Mark Allanson

posted on 22/6/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Tintop problem - VW Golf Mk4 1.4

I was driving down our local bypass this evening when the previously perfect engine missed a beat but seems to recover and carried on as normal. At the end of the bypass I stopped at the roundabout and couldn't pull away smoothly, it felt like it was running on 3 cylinders and obviously down on power.

Got home and opened the bonnet, the engine is lumpy but ticks over, but there is a loud ticking coming from the carbon cannister which I don't think was there before.

Has anyone got any ideas before I shove it into the dealers for a fault code reset?

Thanks in advance
Mark

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

flak monkey

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Leaving the batt disconnected over night usually resets any faults showing which may not exist any more...

Has a plug lead come astray? Or a plug failed?

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
All the leads are secure, possibly a plug but it would be unusual to be able to feel the moment it failed, normally the fade away.

It is ticking over OK now on 4, but still sounds hesitant.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

McLannahan

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Carbon canister ticking loudly is completely normal after a good run in a mk4. It would have always been there but does get louder so you've probably not noticed it before.

austin man

posted on 22/6/09 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 1.8 turbo mine acted the same it was one of the coil packs that had gone down. not sure whether the 1.4 uses the same technology the coil pack is actually part of the plug lead.

I bought an OBD2 reader from the bay of e for £14.00 it came with software so I can now read the fault code and reset when required £45.00 and upward to have it read at a garage

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/6/09 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Has anyone tried something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120437330236

It seems to have more funtionality than most simple scanners

MikeRJ

posted on 23/6/09 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
The ELM 327 based scanners work very well, but be aware that there are numerous knock-off devices that have some but not all of the functionality of the genuine device. The ELM 327 is the part number of the internal chip that does the OBD2 decoding, not the entire interface.

The main problem is that the software provided is usually an old version of Scantool, and the newer versions don't work with the ripped-off ELM327 chips.

If that device uses a genuine ELM327 then it's a good price.

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/6/09 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Just changed the plugs for genuine ones as I get so much discount (40%) and all seems fine, running better than ever - the old plugs look OK, what do you think? Rescued attachment Plug Close.JPG
Rescued attachment Plug Close.JPG

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.