Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air Filters - Can anybody Help
tigerzetec

posted on 22/5/09 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Air Filters - Can anybody Help

Hi, can anybody help? I have 4 individual socks on my R1 carbs of which one of them had the middle sucked out of it and was swallowed up by the carb. I am now looking to replace these and was going to re enforce the inside with wire mesh, but due to finding out that these are rated to 150BHP, i am now considering a sausage type filter. Only problem is, how easy is this going to be. I have no backing plate and am unsure where to secure one if i had one. Does anybody know if i can buy a sausage filter with backing plate that will just fit on. These carb set ups are quite common now, so you would think that someone had marketed something. Many thanks........
Guinness

posted on 22/5/09 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
First off, where did the filter go?? If it got past the carb and into the head I'd be worried. If it got past the valves??

Pipercross supply plain ally backplates that you can drill / fabricate to cover your carbs. I slipped mine in between the carb and the trumpets.

HTH

Mike

eznfrank

posted on 22/5/09 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
as above - in fact i did my base plate last night as it happens, just used a cheap holesaw as only ally and it just lasted till the fourth hole!!
tigerzetec

posted on 22/5/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys, - regarding where part of the filter went, luckily it was wedged against the butterfly, which is probably why she was bouncing off of 7k rpm and the limiter before i shut off and coasted to a halt. Ok with the base plate from pipercross, but how is it fixed to the carbs? I have no trumpets on these either. The socks are currently cable tied to the body of the carb which is approx 70mm diameter. I seem to remember there are a couple of screws either side of the 40mm air intakes, i guess i could use these to secure the plate ? Also, should it have some form of a gasket to stop it drawing in air from around the base plate? Was also wondering what the R1 bike uses, I presume the carbs can't draw in any more air than what they did on the bike. Cheers.
big_wasa

posted on 22/5/09 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
just glue it on with pu.

jacko

posted on 22/5/09 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
this is how i did mine
Jacko
triple filters 3
triple filters 3

triple filters 2
triple filters 2

[img][/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.