Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bleeding cooling system
beaver34

posted on 2/5/09 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
bleeding cooling system

help please in how to bleed the system,

its a zetec se engine, polo rad, rover 25 header tank, now its not getting water round the system ive checked everthing, water pump, all hoses, rad, block, all clear, but it keep going straight into the red temp wise, the rad dosnt get hot at all, so im wanting to know the best way to bleed the system, ill get some pics of the system so you can give me some pointers, thanks al

Scoobythedog

posted on 2/5/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
On top of the thermostate housing is a smaller pipe, 10mm that leads to the expansion tank, take the end off the tank and suck the air out through the thermostate, until the water comes through, Not the most pleasant jobs, but it works.

Scooby

beaver34

posted on 2/5/09 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scoobythedog
On top of the thermostate housing is a smaller pipe, 10mm that leads to the expansion tank, take the end off the tank and suck the air out through the thermostate, until the water comes through, Not the most pleasant jobs, but it works.

Scooby

not on my engine there isnt, im going to get some pics in abit

beaver34

posted on 2/5/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
right here we go pics,

header tank, feeds into what would be be the heater return on a normal setup in a road car,

the return is on top of the head, and you can see the feed from the engine of hot water to the top of the rad,

then down a metal pipe to the rad,

there is a bleed ontop of the rad,

through the rad, then out the bottom to thermo thermostat which is next to the water pump,

abit of a bad pic to see that as th bodies are in the way,

im running standard water pump setup with standard belt route with ford tensioners as pictured

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 2/5/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
The water pump is definately turning the right way? Is it a 2 litre?

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

multanen

posted on 2/5/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Are the shock absorbers upside down?
beaver34

posted on 2/5/09 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by multanen
Are the shock absorbers upside down?

yes,

beaver34

posted on 2/5/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotlad
The water pump is definately turning the right way? Is it a 2 litre?

1.6, zetec se sigma engine, water pump is standard item so is the belt routing and belt

britishtrident

posted on 2/5/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like lack of by-pass

Where does the the pipe drom the bottom of theb header tank go ? it looks like is going back to the head.--- it should go into the bottom hose/bottom of rad or any water pump inlet

Also drill a vent hole or two in the thermostat.

[Edited on 2/5/09 by britishtrident]

beaver34

posted on 2/5/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Where does the the pipe drom the bottom of theb header tank go --- it should go into the bottom hose/bottom of rad or any water pump inlet.

it goes into the feed for the top rad pipe in theory, this is how all these cars have been ran and plumbed in, this is why i carnt understand why im still running mega hot and the water isnt getting round

britishtrident

posted on 2/5/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
quote:
Where does the the pipe drom the bottom of theb header tank go --- it should go into the bottom hose/bottom of rad or any water pump inlet.

it goes into the feed for the top rad pipe in theory, this is how all these cars have been ran and plumbed in, this is why i carnt understand why im still running mega hot and the water isnt getting round

No that's the wrong way to do it the thermostat will never open --- because you don't get any hot by-pass flow around the wax capsule of the thermostat, the only heat that will get to the thermostat is by conduction --- water isn't good at conducting heat.

Just tee into the connection between the bottom of the thermostat and the header tank and lead it back to the water pump inlet

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

beaver34

posted on 2/5/09 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

No that's the wrong way to do it the thermostat will never open --- because you don't get any hot by-pass flow around the wax capsule of the thermostat, the only heat that will get to the thermostat is by conduction --- water isn't good at conducting heat.

Just tee into the connection between the bottom of the thermostat and the header tank and lead it back to the water pump inlet

the thermostat is in the housing ext to the water pump, so your saying feed from header tank into bottom rad hose?

MautoK

posted on 2/5/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
beaver34:
I'm having very similar problems with my MK/Pinto/Polo setup. See my posts in Eng & Trans.
Have you bled the rad via the screw at nearside top? Get the air out of there and replace the screw. Fire it up and get it warm/hot.
Then, using extreme care and holding the screw lightly with pliers as you undo it so you avoid cooking your fingers, (how do I know that, you may ask! ) bleed it again. If you get gas/air rather than water fairly immediately then welcome to the same problem. I have deduced that my head gasket is shot or the block's cracked.
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

beaver34

posted on 2/5/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MautoK
beaver34:
I'm having very similar problems with my MK/Pinto/Polo setup. See my posts in Eng & Trans.
Have you bled the rad via the screw at nearside top? Get the air out of there and replace the screw. Fire it up and get it warm/hot.
Then, using extreme care and holding the screw lightly with pliers as you undo it so you avoid cooking your fingers, (how do I know that, you may ask! ) bleed it again. If you get gas/air rather than water fairly immediately then welcome to the same problem. I have deduced that my head gasket is shot or the block's cracked.
John.

yeah have done, but it dosnt get hot coming out of it, as the warm water is so far away from the bleed screw if that makes sense, can you post a pic of your rad so i can have alook to make sure there the same as im going to buy another and redo the cooling system i think, thanks for the input

MautoK

posted on 2/5/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
There's a few pics of my setup in my photo archive under 'New Radiator'
Front without nosecone
Front without nosecone

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'dosnt get hot coming out of it, as the warm water is so far away from the bleed screw'
Does that mean you get nothing or air or cold water?
John.

My thread is here

[Edited on 2/5/09 by MautoK]

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

FEZ1025

posted on 3/5/09 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I would consider taking out the thermostat a) to make sure it works & not sticking close b) To run system without it to find if that makes a difference.

Other thing is the small pipe going to the header tank, try pushing under the heater tank rather than it going above, you would be surprised how little air you might be looking for.

Alan...

[Edited on 3-5-0909 by FEZ1025]

beaver34

posted on 3/5/09 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
going to remove thermostat today or tomorrow will report back with my findings then
beaver34

posted on 4/5/09 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
right cooling system is in bit at the moment, ive relocating the header tank feed into the bottom rad hose to the thermostat, but my next question is heater hoses,

i dont have a heater and as it is the outlet is blanked off, and the heater return where the old header tank feed was will be blanked off, is it fine to just leave it like this, or is it best to just join them together? thanks al

Ninehigh

posted on 4/5/09 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
My method has been to run the engine, listen carefully and squeeze the pipes fast, shoving the air and water through. Usually if it's bad you'll see air going through the tank (I always did anyway)

Maybe not the best method but it's a quick 2 minute job and might just sort it out

FEZ1025

posted on 4/5/09 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i dont have a heater and as it is the outlet is blanked off, and the heater return where the old header tank feed was will be blanked off, is it fine to just leave it like this, or is it best to just join them together? thanks al

This 'might' be your issue, some systems use the heater matrix as the bypass around the thermostat. Hot water is fed round these pipes until the thermostat opens, which could explain why yours gets up to temperature very quickly. Is it feasible to link these pipes together again as an experiment to see if it cures your problem, it could also be holding air in.

Alan...

beaver34

posted on 4/5/09 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FEZ1025
quote:

This 'might' be your issue, some systems use the heater matrix as the bypass around the thermostat. Hot water is fed round these pipes until the thermostat opens, which could explain why yours gets up to temperature very quickly. Is it feasible to link these pipes together again as an experiment to see if it cures your problem, it could also be holding air in.

Alan...
yeah this is what im thinking is the issue, ill see if i can link them up as per standard and see what happens

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.