Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: do you think the tank is too close?
Lightning

posted on 23/4/09 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
do you think the tank is too close?

the fuel tank is approx 100mm at the corner to the exhaust under the engine, Do you think its too close. Would this be an issue for IVA? Rescued attachment rsz_lgim00141.jpg
Rescued attachment rsz_lgim00141.jpg

Steve

blakep82

posted on 24/4/09 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
i'm not sure theres any specifics about distance etc, but i wouldn't put it near the engine like that... imagine fuel splashing out the filler at the petrol station, and splashing on your exhaust. not cool

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

l0rd

posted on 24/4/09 at 05:17 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't there a rule in IVA that the tank cannot be in the engine bay?
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/09 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Nope sorry I don't like that at all, you should have at a minimum a fire proof bulkhead between the engine and the tank so as to give you time to exit the car in the event of an engine fire. Plus in a shunt the engine could very easily puncture the wall of that tank and up you go, in a ball of flames whooooosh!

Be sensible and put the tank at the opposite end of the car

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Lightning

posted on 24/4/09 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I see your points. however....The tank cannot go the opposite end of the car as there is nowhere for it to go as the front slops down in front of you feet.
The filler was not to be in the engine bay so fuel would not splash. IVA states that the tank cannot be in the passenger bay and hence that is ruled out.
The Spire ZX1400 car has the tank in the engine bay. The tank is effectivly in the centre of the car. so as far away from impact as possible.
The only alternative is to sit it in the side pod which has little protection against impact.
The exhaust is lagged and the tank was to have heat shielding.
Looks like I might have to put it in the side pod...not ideal.

Steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/09 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
yeah looking at this pic
there seems precious little space for a tank. Personally I'd have then mounted it in front of the left rear wheel and made a steel tube framed box and skinned it in 1mm aluminum so its sealed away from the engine

[Edited on 24/4/09 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cloudy

posted on 24/4/09 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem, that position is pretty well protected and probably one of the safer places - I would however firewall between the engine/exhaust and tank

www.warnercars.com

Lightning

posted on 24/4/09 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Thats the only other place. Later bodies have a mod though which would not make this possible as there are vents there for cooling. I might just have to have a vent on one side which makes the car not symetrical. Rescued attachment SS100241.jpg
Rescued attachment SS100241.jpg

Steve

Lightning

posted on 24/4/09 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Another thought is 2 tanks interlinked????. Problem there is interlink would run across exhaust.....AAAhhh

Steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/09 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I had interlinked tanks on my old mirage countach which at first had wild fuel readings as the fuel surged from one side to the other (one sender on the left tank), when I later fitted a smaller diameter connector pipe, I struggled to fill the car up with fuel at the pump

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.