Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dipstick tube and dipstick for xflow
thefreak

posted on 10/3/09 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Dipstick tube and dipstick for xflow

I'm presuming there should be one fitted? Is it common to remove it and blank it off? If so why??
And where would someone get a replacement tube from if they wanted to fit it back on? Can find the dipsticks on burton's website, but no tubes/holders for them

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/3/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Some use a piece of string simply fed through the filler cap with a nut on the end, the oil stain shows the level and the clunk as the nut hits the bottom of the sump tells you its been lowered enough. Alternatively, you could go to B&Q and get a tube from the hardware section, they also have alloy tubes there

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 10/3/09 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefreak
I'm presuming there should be one fitted? Is it common to remove it and blank it off? If so why??

This is done when you run a dry sump, as the oil is then stored in a separate tank and you don't want any air leaks into the crankcase.

Marcus

posted on 10/3/09 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
It's possible your block came from an early Cortina as these had a dipstick tube in the front timing cover and a front bowl sump. I have a front bowl sump and drilled the front cover (theres an obvious point to drill) for a new tube which has been araldited in.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thefreak

posted on 19/3/09 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
You have any pics of it in situ?
DarrenW

posted on 19/3/09 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall what you describe was a mod done to some pintos so may well be similar in x-flows too. On the pinto's i think the owners just removed the bolt and had a custom dipstick to put in hole.

This might sound obvious, but if you make your own tube and stick, you need to get lengths right? My recent pinto engine was convenientlt supplied with wrong dipstick - oh what fun that caused.

Marcus

posted on 19/3/09 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'll try to get a pic tonight. My dipstick uses the sump pan as the bottom stop, so the existing markings are next to useless. I just filled the sump with the right amount of oil (Mr Haynes figure) and made a note of the level on the stick. Very little thought required, which suited me

Marcus

Marcus

posted on 19/3/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, managed to take a couple of pics, not very clear though. You can see stick is at front of engine, and just about make out where I've drilled the front cover.

Dipstick1
Dipstick1

and another:

Dipstick2
Dipstick2

Hope these help

Marcus

David Jenkins

posted on 19/3/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
This might sound obvious, but if you make your own tube and stick, you need to get lengths right? My recent pinto engine was convenient lt supplied with wrong dipstick - oh what fun that caused.

I got a Pinto stick mixed up with the xflow one - they're identical in appearance - and managed to leave a HUGE cloud of smoke when I accelerated up the A12 one day. Honestly, you couldn't see 50 yards up the road!

The right stick ,with the right amount of oil, made all the difference!

thefreak

posted on 19/3/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
Ok, managed to take a couple of pics, not very clear though. You can see stick is at front of engine, and just about make out where I've drilled the front cover.

Ahhh..... I dont think I've looked down that corner... I've been looking the other side at the front and the rear opposite side.
I'll have a gander Saturday when I get back home.
Thanks for that!

Now... anyone know where I can get some decently priced sheets of carbon fibre? want to be about 1800mm x 340mm

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.