Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Frankenstein R1 engine! Halp!
james h

posted on 3/3/09 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Frankenstein R1 engine! Halp!

I always thought I had an R1 4XV engine in my car. MNR modified my bare chassis to accept the engine (it was originally going to be a fireblade). Then today I have seen these:

5jj cylinder head?
5jj cylinder head?

4xv and engine no.
4xv and engine no.

4xv beneath carbs
4xv beneath carbs

thermostat (5pw)
thermostat (5pw)

These are the clocks MNR supplied me (I don't think they came with the engine):
4xv clocks
4xv clocks

MNR installed the engine and wiring loom for me, hence why I have just spotted all of this.

So what are your thoughts?

Do I have a 4XV or a 5JJ?

Do I now only need a single temperature sender/thermo switch now?

Do I need different clocks?

What changed between the above engines?

Lots of questions today, hopefully by tonight I will be a little less confused!!

Thanks

James

p.s. I won't be able to respond to anybody until late tonight, off to London for a uni interview!

ko_racer

posted on 3/3/09 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
The 5JJ was the first injected R1. It was a 4xv engine with a new head and injection system instead of carbs. Think most of it is identical except the head & injection wiring.

Regards

Keith

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 3/3/09 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
We noticed similar when we fitted the R1 to 001Ben's R1 - a mixture of 4XV and 5JJ codes. Just looks like you have a later thermostat housing on top of the engine there (relocate this if you can to give better bonnet clearance).

You need the thermo unit that is fitted into the bike radiator. Ben picked up a new one from the local dealer - a combined unit that operates both the radiator fan and temp display on the standard clocks (via the ECU).

Those look like the standard R1 clocks to me anyway (same as Ben's)

PS 5JJ was carbed. 5PW injected. I'd say you have a 5JJ there.

R1 Clocks in Dash
R1 Clocks in Dash

[Edited on 3/3/09 by Paul TigerB6]

Pdlewis

posted on 3/3/09 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is a 5PW which is the first injected R1 it is essentially a 4xv with better clutch plates and throttlebodies so alot of the engine parts are stampled 4xv even though its a 5pw. The 5JJ i think is the engine before the 5pw so will also use alot of the 4xv parts

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

hobbsy

posted on 3/3/09 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
My 5PW was supplied brand new with 0 miles from PDM but you still see 4XV on a lot of the components that haven't changed (first one I really noticed was the oil pickup strainer).

Bit confusing that you have quite that much of a mix though

bassett

posted on 3/3/09 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
As everyones said a lot of the old parts fitted the newer so yamaha didnt change them. ive seen the odd different engine code parts on mine.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

james h

posted on 3/3/09 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies, agreeing with Paul, I think that the engine is most likely to be a 5JJ with a 5pw thermostat.

I don't have the bike radiator, but seeing as I have the 5PW thermostat, is there a threaded hole where I can put the thermo unit? (I am not at home at the moment so can't easily look, but I seem to recall there being one, and it was on the underside of the unit).

James

quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
We noticed similar when we fitted the R1 to 001Ben's R1 - a mixture of 4XV and 5JJ codes. Just looks like you have a later thermostat housing on top of the engine there (relocate this if you can to give better bonnet clearance).

You need the thermo unit that is fitted into the bike radiator. Ben picked up a new one from the local dealer - a combined unit that operates both the radiator fan and temp display on the standard clocks (via the ECU).

Those look like the standard R1 clocks to me anyway (same as Ben's)

PS 5JJ was carbed. 5PW injected. I'd say you have a 5JJ there.

R1 Clocks in Dash
R1 Clocks in Dash

[Edited on 3/3/09 by Paul TigerB6]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 3/3/09 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Nowhere to put one in the thermostat housing. We fitted Ben's into an adaptor in the top hose - between the thermostat housing and radiator.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.