Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: That’s torn it :o(
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/2/09 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
That’s torn it :o(

Oops due to a stupid design flaw it that the only way to release this engine bush causes the bush to be destroyed! I have a torn one now what’s worse is its about as easy to get as a dodo egg due to it being off the Bluebirds rear engine mount. So what now, don’t know tbh though the Nissan micra might have a bush the same but not sure.

Anyone able to help here or suggest a solution, might actually come to me having to modify this mounting or make another but in the interests of originality I’d rather no tbh

thanks Rescued attachment IMAG0325.jpg
Rescued attachment IMAG0325.jpg

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 23/2/09 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look on the polly bush and superflex sites, there may be some universal suspension bush you can modify.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/2/09 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
cheers but my only concern with replacing it with a harder bush is tonnes of engine noise being transmitted. I can defect the bush with one finger and the cars meant to be very quiet.

minitici

posted on 23/2/09 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
How about moulding a new one using something like this?

Frost Rubber Moulding Kit

MikeRJ

posted on 23/2/09 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Oops due to a stupid design flaw it that the only way to release this engine bush causes the bush to be destroyed!

If the 'design flaw' is that the bush is pressed in, then most cars have this fault!

I'm in a simmilar situation, the engine mounts on my Fiat Coupe are getting pretty tired, but there is no way I am paying the prices that Fiat are asking for new ones (something like £190, £150, £120 and £90 depending on which of the four mounts you want). That's IF you can get them, they put them on back order until they have sufficient orders to make a batch

My plan is to simply look around for something similar of a more mainstream car and adapt it to fit.

r1_pete

posted on 23/2/09 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Might be worth kicking a search off Here

02GF74

posted on 23/2/09 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
volvo 850 engine has one like that, I could measure it but not till I get home.

yours may be soft due to age?

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/2/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
well the reason it sheared was me trying to remove the arm! there's no way to prevent the center turning due to there being a captive bolt going though it thus it just ripped...

minitici, that rubber molding kit might work though, I'll have a shifty

cheers guys for all the help

[Edited on 23/2/09 by Mr Whippy]

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/2/09 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
SORTED!

superb the parts gateway sites got a replacement arm that's being delivered tomorrow cheers R1_pete for the link

r1_pete

posted on 23/2/09 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Brilliant... HTH.

Canada EH!

posted on 23/2/09 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Had something like that on my Datsun 1200 race car, replaced it with Volvo 122 bushing, using same on the Locost.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.