Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Little numbers game!
DIY Si

posted on 3/10/06 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
bit closer Rescued attachment mini3.jpg
Rescued attachment mini3.jpg

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

DIY Si

posted on 3/10/06 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
and the head before fitting
yes, there is a gap between the valves, but it's only 40 thou wide! It's a small step down from an out-and-out race head. Rescued attachment minihead1.jpg
Rescued attachment minihead1.jpg

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

DIY Si

posted on 3/10/06 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
It drinks that much fuel and air that the inlet manifold turns white on the outside of the bend with ice! And it happens during the summer too. Only bad points are that you need earplugs to drive for more than 30 mins! And it can be heard from over 3 miles away!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

MikeRJ

posted on 3/10/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent! I really want to get another mini sometime.

Drove to Silverstone for the 35th Aniversary in my brothers mini with 45DCOE and straight cut drops/box and my ears were ringing for a couple of days after!

Amazing how many people have come up and told him his gearbox is on it's last legs LOL. It also has a bit of primary gear rattle (286 scatter cam and ultra-light steel flywheel don't help!) and some old boy knocked on his window and said he should stop the engine ASAP as his cam chain was going to snap any second

DIY Si

posted on 3/10/06 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's a bit like that. The idle varies between 800 and 1500 rpm depending upon it's mood! I've not had anyone say things like that, whihc is a little suprising, but I have had may people stop me and ask what the hell lurks under the bonnet as its one of those enignes that sounds "different", ie highly tuned, rather than boy racered. I know of another local mini that's louder than mine, but is a near standard 998!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

NS Dev

posted on 4/10/06 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
heh heh, mini is just one of those cars isn't it, now I want another!

Oh well, will have to settle for the grasstrack one!

Nice car, leave it looking like that, chop the bulkhead and sidedraft it so you can't see the carb and stick it back on the road........go on you know you want to!!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

smart51

posted on 4/10/06 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
I originally posted this in the wrong thread

The Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke marine diesel engine makes 5,608,312 LB Ft of torque and 108,920 BHP at 102 RPM from 25,480 litres. Its thermal efficiency can excede 50% so fuel consumprion is only 1660 gallons per hour.

5608312*108920/25480 = 23973

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

NS Dev

posted on 4/10/06 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
That is a pretty effective engine!!!!!!! 50% thermal efficiency we can only dream of on any of our engines, bike or car!!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Agriv8

posted on 4/10/06 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I originally posted this in the wrong thread

The Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke marine diesel engine makes 5,608,312 LB Ft of torque and 108,920 BHP at 102 RPM from 25,480 litres. Its thermal efficiency can excede 50% so fuel consumprion is only 1660 gallons per hour.

5608312*108920/25480 = 23973

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

Id fit one but Id need to buy a sligthly larger engine crane ?? ill stick to the V8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

NS Dev

posted on 4/10/06 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
couldn't you pay for the crane with the fuel saving over the v8??

smart51

posted on 4/10/06 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
Id fit one but Id need to buy a sligthly larger engine crane ??

You might need a bit of a bonnet scoop as well.

tks

posted on 4/10/06 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
the only thing

wich you can calculate is how effeccient
or capable is a engine..

this is by talking about BHP / 1000cc

its like BHP / KG or BHP / 1000Kg..

sow a 3,5litlres wich produces 320BHP
will give less results as a 1000xx bike engine with 150BHP and thats just true!
because with 3,5 times the displacement is should generate 3,5times the bhp´s...

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

NS Dev

posted on 4/10/06 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Again not true!

Yes, that will prove how much bhp per litre an engine will generate, but just because my 0.49cc model plane engine generates huge bhp/1000cc doesn't mean it will be any good at propelling my locost!!!!!!!

As you go through all of these measurements, and in turn rule them out as measures of how they will make a car "go", you will see why I picked the arbitrary measurement I did!!!

A high specific BHP engine on its own is no good

A high peak torque engine on its own is no good

A high revving engine on its own is no good

A high peak bhp engine on its own is no good

What I hoped to get over with the numbers game, and think I have done, is that it is the whole package that is needed to be "effective" in powering a car.

In terms of winner for my little numbers game, sticking to naturally aspirated engines fitted to road legal cars, I am pretty sure I know what it is, but can I find a spec anywhere on tinternet!!!!!......

If somebody can find a spec for an Opel-Cosworth 2.5 litre KF V6 then put it up on here (yes I know there is only one road car with one it it but there you go!!!!).......................

I think you will be looking at over 45 for the (bhp x lbft) / cc equation!!!!!!!

MikeRJ

posted on 4/10/06 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Was justing looking through a list of power/torques I found at http://www.drivetorque.co.uk/cars/car_specs.htm and I was surprised that big V8's that you'd expect to be in a relatively soft state of tune provide high numbers to Nats original engine "goodness" formula.

e.g. GM LS1 as found in Vauxhall Monarao, 329bhp, 344 lbft from a 5.7 litre engine gives 19.8.

Best I can find so far is the BMW M3 CSL engine, 360bhp, 274lbft from 3246cc giving a score of 30.4. Not quite "locost" though.

[Edited on 4/10/06 by MikeRJ]

smart51

posted on 4/10/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
In terms of winner for my little numbers game... Opel-Cosworth 2.5 litre KF V6 ...
I think you will be looking at over 45 for the (bhp x lbft) / cc equation

The sulzer diesel beats 45!

NS Dev

posted on 4/10/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Using purely "vague recollection" values for the KF V6, I think peak power was around 415hp and peak torque was around 290lbft, which from 2500cc gives 48!!! Engine also has excellent power density, at around 90kg all up weight!!!

The road legal car it was fitted to was Andy Burton's "306R4" rally car.

The Sulzer diesel, excellent as it is, won't go in a road car!! LOL

[Edited on 4/10/06 by NS Dev]

Agriv8

posted on 4/10/06 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Using purely "vague recollection" values for the KF V6, I think peak power was around 415hp and peak torque was around 290lbft, which from 2500cc gives 48!!! Engine also has excellent power density, at around 90kg all up weight!!!

The road legal car it was fitted to was Andy Burton's "306R4" rally car.

The Sulzer diesel, excellent as it is, won't go in a road car!! LOL

[Edited on 4/10/06 by NS Dev]

Oh it won't fit even if I shave a bit of the sump and fit a foam aftermarket air filter ? thats a shame

New forum ? Locost Freight Ship I assume that what the engine is designed for being 102 RPM and all that tourque.

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

ned

posted on 4/10/06 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
just thinking my daily driver diesel:

140*259/1896= 19.12

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 5/10/06 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
them there turbos blow the plot away again!!!

smart51

posted on 5/10/06 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
How about this one, a lombardini 686cc diesel

30 Lb ft, 17 BHP, 686cc = 0.74

mcerd1

posted on 5/10/06 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
pug 106 (TU9 carb)

(45 x 72)/ 954 = 3.4

with the factory data -> add real life and 14 years and it's probibly more like 35x60/954 = 2.2

NS Dev

posted on 5/10/06 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
How about this one, a lombardini 686cc diesel

30 Lb ft, 17 BHP, 686cc = 0.74

bloody hell!!!!

Lets have a "find the lowest" contest then!!

Might be amusing.

I don't know the cc of a typical briggs and stratton 3.5hp mower engine but they have got to be contenders!

What about a harley???

Coose

posted on 5/10/06 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Ok then, 'er indoors' Mk1 '66 Mini: -

24(bhp) x 59 (lb.ft) / 998 = 1.42!

Spin 'er off Well...

smart51

posted on 5/10/06 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
piaggio air cooled 50cc 4 stroke moped engine

2.9 lb ft, 4.4 BHP, 49.9cc = 0.255

ned

posted on 5/10/06 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
piaggio air cooled 50cc 4 stroke moped engine

2.9 lb ft, 4.4 BHP, 49.9cc = 0.255

bloody rubbish bike engines LOL

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.