Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Engines
mcerd1

posted on 22/1/07 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
I started off in a similar way (i.e. a student - but I didn't buy anything till I was working ) - its just that I'm not building a locost (sorry) - that should just mean it takes less time to build and will make a bigger hole in my wallet
but I got an XR4x4 donor (for a Dax 4x4 kit) then decided that I really only wanted 2wd - this means I can get the limited slip diff from the 4x4 but it would have been cheaper and easier just to buy the diff

then got a 205 block pinto, although mine was in a 151,000 mile Granada from next door (I got whole car for free - if you know someone's got a suitable old car near you don't be afraid to ask)

I could have just used it as it was, but it really could use a rebuild (its still not done yet)
-then I decided I didn't want to have to mess around with all the EFI wiring (so I got some bike carbs)
-then I saw a good cossie crank going cheep on ebay
-then the cossie con rods
-then I got a steel flywheel
-then the cossie oil pump (for the spray bar)
-now I need a cam, megajolt and some 93mm forged pistons to finish the job - making it a 2.1L, but head mods/porting can wait just now (I might get a NA cossie head later)

I would not recomend doing the same upgrades as I'm doing to the bottom end, this is not a cheep bottom end for a pinto and will not give me any real benafit (other than being able to run it at 8500 - 9000 rpm, once the heads changed that is) most pinto race engines just use std parts !

as you probably tell 'upgrading' can be infectious - you'll want to allow for this when you decide on your engine (just incase you want to upgrade or tune it later on)

[Edited on 22/1/07 by mcerd1]

DaveFJ

posted on 22/1/07 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I started with the intention of fitting the standard 2.0 EFi pinto that came with my donor, it was in perfect condition and even had a full dealer history.....

but then got the upgrade bug...

I had scholar engines rebuild the bottom end to 2.1l with a lightened flywheel dowled to the crank and all balanced - £850 ish

Kent Fr33 cam kit and vernier pulley

uprated oil pump

Megasquirt

GSXR 1000 TBs

and on - and on - and on.......

Once you start it's hard to stop!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

gahgah

posted on 24/1/07 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everybody for your input. I have to print it all out and study it.
I know I am to impatient but now I have a donor, Sierra 2l pinto and can't wait to get started on it.
Now it snows and gets very cold

DarrenW

posted on 24/1/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
You have started in exactly the right way. Prep the donor bits whilst sussing out the kit route. At least then when kit arrives you can make a good start with clean parts.

Did well to get a pinto Sierra. Injection or carb version?

gahgah

posted on 31/1/07 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Injection.
Gone absolutely mad, day and night its on my mind, I can't keep this pace up. I'm taking off for more than I need. I keep thinking this might come in handy.
Garage is a total mess.( so are my hands).
thanks for encouragement.

Mark Allanson

posted on 31/1/07 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
This injection engine cost £35 bits and materials) with all the ancilliaries, and modified injection system Rescued attachment Engine Overhead.jpg
Rescued attachment Engine Overhead.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

mcerd1

posted on 1/2/07 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Heres a little infomation to tempt you do doing more to it

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/PINTO.htm

paulkelly50

posted on 18/5/07 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
hi, depends on driving style i think, i have both engines sitting in the garage, and im undecided between building a screaming pinto, or the standard dohc, it has loads of torque, good fuel economy, reliable, i had it in a granada, loved it, think it would give good acceleration through the gears in my locost,
flak monkey

posted on 18/5/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Use the pinto, no choice really.

It weighs less than the DOHC, you can tune it for next to nothing (160 bhp is very easily had), you can work on it yourself.

The DOHC is very heavy , there are no tuning parts available and its a very tall engine.

This is mine, engine cost £30, complete with lightened flywheel. I completely rebuilt it and tweaked it slightly Total cost was under £500 including the carbs and tuning parts.

David

[Edited on 18/5/07 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.