Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which engine for new car?
bimbleuk

posted on 29/11/06 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Just found out Jackson Racing are now developing Rotrex SC kits!!

Now they were the bastion of roots blower kits so there must be something in them after all

R1 STRIKER

posted on 30/11/06 at 01:35 AM Reply With Quote
Justin,
So if I go the super charger route. What are you doing about the throttle bodies. I assume you are coverting to a plenum and single t/b or am I wrong?

Ben.

bimbleuk

posted on 30/11/06 at 04:45 AM Reply With Quote
Ben,

I intend to keep the individual TBs and just fabricate a plenum to enclose the openings. Jut like Skylines, Pulsars and 200SX's from the factory.

thomas4age

posted on 30/11/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
no need to ditch the ITB's.

the stock airbox seems to be pretty boost tolerant, if not just make up an airbox to sit over the trumpets, there's no need to make that from heavy stuff, because it never sees full closed throttle vacuum (which is what kills most hmebrew plenums) but only the amount of boost directed towards it, and I seriously don't think you would want to go over 1 bar static on a 20v engine.

you could make a new plenum and sell the ITB's if you'd want to. but I wouldn't.

ps Blimble, the thing on scary engines is precisly the reason why I didn't want the 4agZe engine. it's quick but civilized and the 20v can still scare my pants of sometimes. ie collecting speeding tickets is very easy at exiting a roundabout.

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

R1 STRIKER

posted on 30/11/06 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
So what do you guys think of the Rotrex c30-84 charger on ebay at the moment? Buy it now £1000. Good or bad?. Haven't priced these up yet. Also, would there be any other superchargers worth considering?

Ben.

bimbleuk

posted on 1/12/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I was recommended the C30-94 by TTS after giving them extensive details of my engine and my target power output. I may have to use a restrictor on the inlet if it generates too much boost at high RPM. I was somewhat surprised by this as on paper the C30-74 seems to be the best match.

The price is reasonable as they do indeed retail for about £1250-1400 and £90 for the universal mounting plate. Though I got the plate thrown in with mine as I said it was worth about £15 in reality.

However the plate shown in the picture has been modified to fit a particular engine. Also where are the oil lines, filter and reservoir. Finally if that person did buy the Rotrex where are the dust caps for the inlet, outlet and oil connectors? Maybe they didn't get round to finishing the project but they certainly got quite far in mounting the SC.

[Edited on 1/12/06 by bimbleuk]

TimC

posted on 1/12/06 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
With a spec like that I think you should get the TR chassis - I'd worry about regretting it otherwise!

R1 STRIKER

posted on 1/12/06 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
You might be right. Lots of decisions to make. That is really why I'm building this car. I'm looking for something that will keep up with (and pass) the R400/500's of this world with out costing £40,000!
Anybody put uprated cams in a 4agze?

Ben.

bimbleuk

posted on 2/12/06 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
I had HKS 272 deg cams in my 7AGZE which helped to get over 200BHP on a modest 10PSI

I would seriusly consider the TR chassis as I'm always looking over them at the RAW workshop. I know it was designed primarily for 70mm ride heights on track but I believe you can get the clearance above 90mm. Go speak to Martin.

procomp

posted on 2/12/06 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi before you go splashing out on the TR chassis maybe you should do some reasearch as to weather it actually has any better handeling than the STD chassis.

What you will find is that it dosent and that the limiting factor of the striker is the the same as when jeremy philips originaly designed the car .

Even the works race car of Garry goodyear whith £4k of dampers on it still has the same handeling problems as the original cars and has only picked up pace this year from more development on his own engine but handeling wise he still has one severe disadvantage which means that trying to put 200 bhp through the car is fine for playing on the road/ocasional trackday but if you are seriously thinking of catching R500's i would go and by a R500.

Hope this dosent sound as if i am slagging the striker but if you are talking about putting 200bhp in to one i would do some reaserch on the real handeling problems that are inbuilt to the basic car.

I may get flamed for this but those that race strikers are well aware of there disadvantage and work around it but they only use upto 180 bhp.

cheers matt

(edit) The handeling problem only realy applies to fast circuit use but could become an advantage for sprinting or auto testing.

[Edited on 2/12/06 by procomp]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bimbleuk

posted on 2/12/06 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
No reason to flame you. I'm all ears if you'd like to expand a bit on the issue. Just because I own one I'm not blinkered about constructive critism.

As I mostly use mine for road and track days I can't say that I've really tried to stretch the limits of performance on mine. However if I was to continue on my engine developement, as you say, with the Rotrex and reach my target of 200+BHP I'd rather know about high speed performance etc in advance!

I tend to pick motors first to develop them think of car to go round it. The Striker kit was offered to me at a bargain price just after selling my previous car so thats why I went that route at the time.

R1 STRIKER

posted on 3/12/06 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt,
To a certain extent I agree with you. For what my car will be used for, it would be hard to justify the extra cost of the TR chassis.
I would say though, that although alot of Gary's extra speed this year is down to his constent development of his engine, it would be wrong to suggest that NO improvements have been made with the chassis. As you say, you could have all the power in the world but if the car won't handle it's not going to help you. I think all cars have certain handling problems but i've never found my current striker to be any worse than other sevens. If any thing have always found it better (I could be biased there!)

Coincidentally, if I go for a 16v 4age it would probably be Gary building it. He built a great engine for a friends striker a couple of years ago and i've always liked his constent development attitude.

Like justin i'd ben interested to know where you think the problem areas are and if there's anything I could do to correct these during the build?

Ben.

bimbleuk

posted on 4/12/06 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Ben, I've seen several of Garys engine on the rollers at M.R. and they are both powerful and torquey too which is great to see. I've only seen one which had everyone stumped why it wasn't making the expected power. Another last week was using the RAW 4-2-1 manifold and to be honest it was probably restricting the ultimate power figures.

As for my Striker at high speed. I learnt early on how bad the basic seven shape can be as the front goes very light. As a result I limited my top speed to 125mph approx by fitting a 4.44:1 diff.

R1 STRIKER

posted on 4/12/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
At a guess i assume the engine that didn't make the expected power was a s/t 20v! I think it just showed how good they are out the box. Have just been over to RAW. Had a look at the new demo car A few nice changes since I built mine.

I think it will be standard b/t to start with the possibilty of adding a s/c later. Also going for BGH box and 4.4 subaru diff. Not getting the gearing right from the start was the mistake I made last time.

Watch out next time you take your car to RAW. Mel is desperate for a 4.4 sierra diff!

bimbleuk

posted on 4/12/06 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
No it was a Gary built 16V which put out 174BHP but really should have been in the 180s! Pretty good for a 1600cc engine anyway.

Hmm I have been thinking of going back to a 3.92:1 diff as if the Rotrex works out then I'll have rather a lot more torque to play with!

R1 STRIKER

posted on 4/12/06 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Give Mel a call then justin. He has a customer who is desperate for a 4.4 and just can't find one.

Ben

sept

posted on 22/1/07 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Ben

I,m now building an tr striker with an zx12r engine. this striker will be very light. I bougt this one to use it as an test striker to see what the differens are with the road striker on the track.

I will go racing in the german seven mania bec serie.

Mischa

www.speedon.nl
www.racewagen.nl my private site

[Edited on 22/1/07 by sept]

sept

posted on 22/1/07 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
my last 20v striker, i have sold this one to an guy in belgem. Rescued attachment IMG_3019.JPG
Rescued attachment IMG_3019.JPG

sept

posted on 22/1/07 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
my new tr zx12r striker on going build

[Edited on 22/1/07 by sept] Rescued attachment IMG_30811.JPG
Rescued attachment IMG_30811.JPG

sept is seven in french

Mischa

ChrisGamlin

posted on 23/1/07 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Im interested to know what are these handling issues with the Striker are, I always thought the Striker was regarded as one of the better handling Seven clones?
Also does it also affect other Jeremy Philips designed cars like the Phoenix or Fury?

bimbleuk

posted on 24/1/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'm also waiting for the detailed reply.

In the mean time here's a couple some pics of the 200BHP engine which will cause my Striker to randomly fall off the road

Image deleted by owner

Image deleted by owner

Ford oil water cooler mounted
Ford oil water cooler mounted

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.