Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Overheating
David Jenkins

posted on 28/7/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like one good step forward.

Now I suggest that you check your temp sender & gauge - it may be lying to you!

David

David Jenkins

posted on 28/7/06 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just spotted this post:

LINK

It reminded me that there's another thing you can look at - the fan belt. If it's a bit slack it won't spin the water pump very well, causing overheating.

David

DarrenW

posted on 28/7/06 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I dont have the std Micra fan, ive used an aftermarket one of unknown pedigree (a mate had it lyiong about). It is a blow type fitted in front of the rad. Ill guess its about 11" diameter. When on the floor its capable of lifting itself off the flow - dont know if this is indicative of strength but it does seem powerful (it has several blades and has SPAL moulded into the casing). Rad thermostatic switch is std as far as i know. Fan kicks in at 95 and off at 93 (ive took note better to try and help you out). I dont have an expansion tank fitted hance why i have what is probs best described as an overflow bottle (actually an empty crap pop bottle). Without bottle mine too blew approx half a litre out onto road - now it doesnt, just into the bottle and then seems to suck it back in when cooling down after a blat.

You can check if the fan is correct way round by using a smoke source, a mate checked it with cigarette smoke for me.

I still have a sneaky feeling your gauge is telling you porkies but dont know a quick way to check that. It may also be that the fan switch in the rad is too high a temperature or is not covered by the water. Ref std thermostat in engine ive heard of people running without in summer no problem. Ive also heard of people drilling a small 3 or 4mm bypass hole in it.
Assuming no air locks and plumbing is OK i kind of guess you should be safe.

Are you utilising the std water temp sender location and is the sender itself matched to the gauge? Are they new or could they be old and inaccurate at all.

DarrenW

posted on 28/7/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
I was just thinking, is your water nice and clean or brown and crappy. Not many Pintos are perfectly clean but a flush can be worthwhile - solved some of my earlier problems. I was horrified when i removed a block plug and nothing came out. I had to scrape / push around with a terminal driver and then get some witre in the hole to clear crud from the bottom of the block water jacket. Apparently this happens if someone in the past has been running without antifreeze, the rust etc just collects and sets hardish.

02GF74

posted on 28/7/06 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
I dont have an expansion tank fitted hance why i have what is probs best described as an overflow bottle (actually an empty crap pop bottle). Without bottle mine too blew approx half a litre out onto road - now it doesnt, just into the bottle and then seems to suck it back in when cooling down after a blat.

yep, same set up on series land rovers.

quote:
You can check if the fan is correct way round by using a smoke source,

hmmmm, you should be able to feel the air flow by putting you hand close.

quote:
I still have a sneaky feeling your gauge is telling you porkies but dont know a quick way to check that. It may also be that the fan switch in the rad is too high a temperature or is not covered by the water. Ref std thermostat in engine ive heard of people running without in summer no problem. Ive also heard of people drilling a small 3 or 4mm bypass hole in it.

yep- get a thermometer and meausure tmeperatures. re: tiny hole, v8 thermostat has this, for the very reason stated - unless you by cheap bripat one no big deal to drill a hole

phoenix70

posted on 28/7/06 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Sounds like one good step forward.

Now I suggest that you check your temp sender & gauge - it may be lying to you!

David

I'm pretty sure it is, but it shoudn't be, as the sender was bought with the gauge.

[Edited on 28/7/06 by phoenix70]

phoenix70

posted on 28/7/06 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Are you utilising the std water temp sender location and is the sender itself matched to the gauge? Are they new or could they be old and inaccurate at all.

The temp guage and sender are supposed to be matched and both are new, but I'm not convinced that the gauge is telling the truth.

quote:
I was just thinking, is your water nice and clean or brown and crappy.

The water used to be crappy and brown, but with all the filling and re-filling has cleaned it up quite a lot, haven't taken the block plug out, may try that just to check the flow.

phoenix70

posted on 8/8/06 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
A Quick update for anyone interested.

Stuck flush in the rad to flush it out, that improved the situation, but the car was still slowly heating up all the time (funny thing, it actually cooled better, the faster I went). The next step I decided to do was to make a cowling for around the radiator to force air entering the nosecone through the radiator instead of around, and what a difference that made, it still heats up quickly when stationary, but on the move, the car sits a constant 90c. The last thing I'm thinking of doing is adding some water wetter just to give a little extra cooling ability.

Thanks to everyone for there suggestion and help, now I can enjoy my car without watching the temperature gauge all the time

Cheers

Scott

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.