Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Tank Breather
MikeR

posted on 11/12/05 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
they look just the job. If you want to spend more money i'm think Demon do one that will screw into the top of your tank so no need to have rubber hanging around.
RazMan

posted on 11/12/05 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
The Harris Performance ones look really pretty but they are only a simple one way valve. This will allow air in (to stop tank implosion) but prevent expansion pressure escaping. So on a hot day, when your tank is roasting, won't there be a risk of vapour pressure leaking through a weak pipe union or similar..... or am I just paranoid?

The ThinkAuto ones are a little more sophisticated (and more expensive at £25 each!)

Quote" A range of fuel tank valves that allows 1)air in to replace fuel used, 2) air out due to heat expansion. 3) a positive shut off to prevent fuel escape, due to splashing or even roll over. This is achieved by a two ball system, one hollow plastic, one solid steel."

I'm looking into these soon as I have twin tanks to worry about. The TRL7 (not shown) is for in line fitting into ¼” bore hose and must be mounted vertically.
Probably the dogs danglies but at a cost!

[Edited on 11-12-05 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tks

posted on 11/12/05 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
mhh

for filling up it isn't necessary because you have the cap taken of the tank..

sow whats the point??

its only for vacuum... well i have an loackable filler/aero cap..and i'm sure its leaking...enough sow no breather fitted...

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

RazMan

posted on 11/12/05 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Here's more bedtime reading from the Newton Products site - I think they manufacture the valves.
linky

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 11/12/05 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to get mine with a little discount from thinkauto,i just mentioned this site and locostcar club.

I'm pretty sure is was about £22 or less,i did pick up though.

The harris ones do seem a keen price though.

NS Dev

posted on 11/12/05 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
This is nothing to do with the car rolling over - that is something else.

This is to with not creating a vacuum in the tank so it doesn't collapse.

Pat...

No Pat, this is everything to do with being in an accident. You need a vent in your tank to stop the vacum. What i'm saying is make sure your vent is safe. Think not just for stopping the vacum but when you're in an accident. Those with lines that run up to the roll bar and back down are not safe! What i'm doing is fitting a vent from stoneleigh. Its not perfect as its going to be attached via a small rubber tube which should (hopefully) be fireproof.

I find it strange but the rules on building road cars are now more strict than race cars in many areas. This is one of them.

Mike, I just use (on the grasser) a piece of copper brake line, from the very top of the tank, looped around the tank and down to below the bottom of the tank, near ground level.

Car right way up, fuel can't get out, car upside down.......fuel can't get out...........car on side.......fuel can't get out.

Simple, with the pipe looped around the tank, whichever way up the car lands, the fuel has to flow uphill, so it won't leak out.

NS Dev

posted on 11/12/05 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
PS.............to those using "PROPER" vent valves.......................................put some fuel in the tank and turn it upside down...............................I got a shock when I saw the fuel pouring out of the - fairly expensive - vent valve............hence the looped kunifer pipe on the grasser!

[Edited on 11/12/05 by NS Dev]

Viper

posted on 12/12/05 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev

Mike, I just use (on the grasser) a piece of copper brake line, from the very top of the tank, looped around the tank and down to below the bottom of the tank, near ground level.

Car right way up, fuel can't get out, car upside down.......fuel can't get out...........car on side.......fuel can't get out.

Simple, with the pipe looped around the tank, whichever way up the car lands, the fuel has to flow uphill, so it won't leak out.

thats just how we do it on circuit sallons...

MikeR

posted on 12/12/05 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Aaah, but, what if you're rolling down a REALLY long hill, every time the car does a complete revolution a small amount of fuel will leak out :p

(ok ok, good solution! i'd also squash the end of the tube so only a limited hole existed cause i'm like that).

tks

posted on 12/12/05 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
mhhh

but in fact you make then an connection to your tank...

and then the problem arises that you car needs to smell to petrol, because out of that tiny hole is comeing tank vapoour...

i thought the normal car industie had some filters for it?

i think the best thing we can do is build an spring powered undo vavle..

should be easy! sow locost guys come up with something thats shutdown when you don't use the car!

Tks

tks

posted on 12/12/05 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Something like this,

when the sucking force wins from the spring it untapers the little hole sow it will suck air in, then the spring will win and it will be closed again..

in an uppside down case, the weight will close the valve anyway... Rescued attachment Tankventevalveidea.JPG
Rescued attachment Tankventevalveidea.JPG

MikeR

posted on 12/12/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
if we're being acurate

All flaps / holes in the fuel tank should have a spring mechanism on them so if the tank is upside down the flap stops the fuel rushing out.

something else "you're all going to die" mate couldn't believe we didn't have to have!

NS Dev

posted on 13/12/05 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Aaah, but, what if you're rolling down a REALLY long hill, every time the car does a complete revolution a small amount of fuel will leak out :p

(ok ok, good solution! i'd also squash the end of the tube so only a limited hole existed cause i'm like that).

Yep, a tad would come out in that situation!

Yes, squash the end up as well a fair bit, certainly would not do any harm!

02GF74

posted on 13/12/05 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Mate does fuel systems for a living.

so what does your mate say we should do?

MikeR

posted on 13/12/05 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Stop playing at making cars would probably be high on the list, followed by keeping that death trap away from him.

The problem is, he has to go through more regulations than you'd believe. Each there for a good reason. We don't.

Basically, get a strong tank. Put flaps on all openings so fuel can't flow out if the car is upside down/ on its side. Remove all rubber from the system & use something fireproof. Sacrifice a chicken and pray to your favourite deity.

He was explaining what once company had had to do for Rolls Royce. Because of emissions rules, you can only emit so many hydrocarbons a day. With the rollers having such big rubber tyres they give off "loads" (relative term) of hydrocarbons. The fuel system therefore had to be near zero emissions to save the environment.

[cough] mpg on a roller? [cough]

JoelP

posted on 13/12/05 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
tks, surely the pair of bike valves would be just like the sprung devices you drew? These probably wouldnt leak when immersed, but a small bit of pressure either way would open one or the other. You need one to let air out, because the air in your tank will expand significantly on a hot day, especially in a garage, maybe bending the tank.

Smartripper

posted on 15/12/05 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

I'am using some from a shipyard, they are waterproof and from alu.

They where only 4,50 euro. with antiroll membraam.

Greeting Daniel

carlgeldard

posted on 16/12/05 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for being a bit behind but I got mine from here!!!!!!!!!!!

Carl

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.